Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero

This is a great hat. finally decided to upgrade from…

This is a great hat. finally decided to upgrade from the Indiana Jones style crushable felt hat I've been wearing for years, as the felt was not all that breathable and the dark brown color didn't help either. Also it tended to blow off my head in moderate wind.

None of those things is a problem with the Nimbus. In a moderate drizzle in Japan, it kept my head and shoulders completely dry for 2 hours ducking in and out of temples. It was pretty drenched at the end of the day, and took awhile to dry out back in my hotel room, but my head stayed warm and dry.

It is also a pretty decent sun hat. For being as waterproof as it was, it doesn't make my head overheat to badly. I chose this had over the Seattle Sombrero because the reviews made that hat sound like only a rain hat that would be too hot in sunny conditions.

The Nimbus does get a bit warm in 75 degrees, and I'd probably be better served by a single purpose sun hat in that case, but when packing for a trip with potential for wet weather, and only wanting to grab one hat, this hat is ideal. Also, when I took the hat off, I found I was hotter with the sun beating down directly on my head and face.

A feature I really like in the one hand adjustable cinch cord in the back of the brim. It snugs it to my head making the chin strap unnecessary in all but the highest winds. The chin strap can be untied, but I just tuck it up in the top of the hat when not in use. For warmer, less windy conditions, I loosened the cinch for extra breathability. The cinch pull tucks away, and I didn't have any issue with water getting in through the cord hole. The brim has snaps so you can wear the sides up "Australian style" if you so desire.

An excellent value, multi-use hat. I will pack it with me everywhere.

When every ounce counts, you want a hat that will last through every possible condition and provide complete coverage on your trek, the waterproof Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero fits the bill right down to the floating, wind and water resistant construction.

- Mountain Gear

Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero - Venture into the weather with this waterproof storm sombrero. The wide brim channels precipitation away from your head during long pours. Snaps prevent the edges from flapping in blustery weather. Avg. weight: 3.2 oz./89 g (size L)

- Massey's Outfitters

With the Nimbus Sombrero from Outdoor Research you can confidently venture into any weather with the protection of the Sombrero's waterproof/breathable, seam-taped Ventia fabric. The Nimbus has a foam-stiffened brim with plastic-reinforced edging that channels precipitation away from your head during long pours, while a set of snaps secures the brim in blustery weather. The mesh-lined crown and Coolmax mesh headband wick moisture on humid trails, while an external drawcord adjustment gives the Nimbus Sombrero a custom fit.

- RockCreek

Description of Outdoor Research Nimbus SombreroVenture into the weather with this waterproof storm sombrero. The wide brim channels precipitation away from your head during long pours. Snaps prevent the edges from flapping in blustery weather.Features:Waterproof/breathable, 3-layer ripstop Ventia™ fabricFully seam tapedWelded constructionFoam-stiffened brim floatsFlexible, circumferential piping for wind-resistanceMesh-lined crown and Coolmax® mesh headband for comfort and moisture managementExternal drawcord adjustmentSnaps on brim and domeRemovable chin cord with cordlockAvg. weight: 3.2 oz./89 g (size L)

- US Outdoor Store

On Sale. Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero (Fall 2009) The Nimbus Sombrero by Outdoor Research. Specifications: Avg. weight: 3.2 oz. / 89 g Features: Waterproof/breathable, 3-layer rip stop Ventia fabric, seam taped Welded construction Foam-stiffened brim floats Flexible, circumferential piping along brim edge for wind resistance Mesh-lined crown and Trans Action headband for comfort and moisture management External draw cord adjustment Snaps on brim and dome Removable chin cord with cord lock

Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero

The Nimbus Sombrero has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new rain hat, check out the best reviewed current models.