Outdoor Research Peruvian Hat

I've had my Black one for seven years with little…

Fabric: gore windstopper fleece
Fill: none

I've had my Black one for seven years with little to no signs of wear. I've worn it mid winter on watch in the Sea of Japan and trips to Korea, in bitter upstate New York winters, and out near the Puget Sound at night on training operations...I've found nothing better for the price, weight, warmth, coverage, and wind stoppage.

When worn with a neoprene half face mask, it provides the ultimate coverage that stays where it should without becoming annoying. I've preferred this combination better than my OR Gorilla Balaclava and even tested my comfort between the two on sub zero days. It rolls up in your pocket for easy carry and stays there, instead of getting put somewhere else and later not having it when you need it.

I could go on and on, but there's no need. This is the ONE warm hat in my collection, the others got given away!

In the Adirondacks it gets very cold, wet, and windy…

Fabric: Gore Windstopper Fleece

In the Adirondacks it gets very cold, wet, and windy during the winter. This hat is a blessing. It covers all the way down the back of my neck and keeps the sides of my face protected as well. The cinch cord is great to seal in warmth.

If there is a downside it may be that the hat is too warm for mild (20-32 degrees) winter temperatures. Doesn't bother me though as I will wear just a beanie while hiking / snowshoeing and then pop this baby on and be cozy comfortable when the temps dip or the wind picks up.

I bought the large and it fits slightly loose but that's what I wanted to accommodate a liner cap or my beanie.

There aren't many pieces of gear I'll give a 5-star…

There aren't many pieces of gear I'll give a 5-star review. I simply love this hat. I looked long and hard to find it on sale, just like I do for all my gear. I found the sizing chart was a bit too small... I had to send mine back for the next biggest size.

This hat is very thin and light, but as warm as my heavier and fluffier hats. It really is windproof, but the ear flaps really make the difference in cold weather. I've also worn it in the rain, and my head stayed dry, even though it isn't listed as a waterproof item. You can wear the drawstring on top of your head instead of under your chin, which holds the ear flaps up during warmer weather.

The only thing about this hat that I don't like is that it makes it noticeably harder to hear with the ear flaps down. I did not knock any stars off for that, because I think that is too much to expect for a hat that is actually covering your ears.

Also, in my opinion, this hat looks a bit goofy, so it's not something I would plan on wearing in your everyday activities, but that's not an issue on the trail.

This hat is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It’s…

Price Paid: 20 bucks

This hat is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It’s too hot to wear while you are hiking unless it’s really cold out but when you get to camp and start to cool off it is most welcome. I cinch the chin straps up, snuggle down in my bag and my head stays nice and warm all night without breaking into a sweat. Breaths good and keeps your head warm. What else could you ask for?