Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $22
As always I am all about keeping it simple(pros/cons) so here is low down on this hat.
1. Weight=Comfort- I know it's just a hat. It weighs 1.8oz. When wearing it I have actually forgotten that I had it on. If it wasn't for the brim(which is 2") I probably would have looked for it even though I was already wearing it. Hands down this is the most comfortable hat I have ever worn.
2. It Breathes- I wore this hat last summer on a 98 degree day building a retaining wall. My head did not get overly sweaty and I wasn't roasting. The Supplex Nylon breathes very well.
3. UPF 30 Sun Protection- I have burnt my scalp before from sun exposure and I was miserable. This hat eliminates that from happening.
4. The Headband- OR refers to this as a TransAction headband. What little bit of sweat that has accumulated on my forehead while wearing this hat has never made it to my eyes or ran down my face. Plain and simply put, it works.
5. Folding Point In the Brim- I originally did not purchase this hat for this reason, it just wasn't a big purchasing point for me. I have to honestly say that I use this feature alot more than I thought I would. The brim has a folding point down the center of it. When this hat is folded it is basically the same size as my wallet (tri-fold.) Sometimes ya just want to take your lid off. Having the ability to stuff it in my pocket has been great. I don't lose it and when its in my pocket its hardly noticeable.
I have to be honest I can't think of any. Out of fairness though I am gonna be really finicky here.
1. I would like it a bit more if it had a DWR coating. Then again if it did I wonder how it would adversely effect the breathing characteristics of the fabric so its probably better off the way it is.
Look, this is a really nice warm weather hat. It functions very well in the field not to mention it looks pretty good with a sweater and a pair of khakis. Quality of construction is top notch but then again I have come to expect this from OR. You also get OR's Infinite Guarantee(Its guaranteed forever.)
If you are in the the market for a new noggin topper take a look at the OR Radar Pocket Cap. It's one awesome hat.
Where to Buy
Here's what other sites are saying:
Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap's function lies at the heart of this street-styled cap. It shields you from the sun with UPF 30 protection, keeps you dry with the TransAction headband, and stores away in your pocket with the help of the folding bill.
- CampSaver.com refers to the unisex version
Function lies at the heart of the street-styled Radar Pocket Cap. It shields you from the sun with UPF 30 protection, keeps you dry with the TransAction headband, and stores away in your pocket with the help of the folding bill.
- EMS refers to the unisex version
Function lies at the heart of this street-styled cap It will shield you from the sun with UPF 30 sun protection, keep you dry with the TransAction headband,and store away in your pocket with the help of the folding bill
- SunnySports refers to the unisex version
The 2.1 ounce Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap packs small enough to put in your pocket and protects your head from the sun with its UPF 30+ rated SolarShield material. Outdoor Research also included a Dri-Release headband to increase comfort and moisture management on the trail. Grab the Radar Pocket Cap to eliminate the chance of a sun-burned head on your next hike.
- Backcountry.com refers to the unisex version