Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Multicam

If you want a hat with Goretex rain protection, a…

Summary

If you want a hat with Goretex rain protection, a full brim, and light insulation then this may be one of the finest hats you could choose.

Pros

• Warm in transition weather (not hot, and not yet very cold)
  • Breathable waterproof with Goretex — top marks here
  • If you like Multicam, then this is darn swell. I dig it.

Cons

• Gore-Tex is what it is. I like it. Unfortunately it's a little too hot for summer months here in the Puget Sound of WA State.

20140203_064832.jpg
20140203_064909.jpg

I do have a problem with this hat, and I want to give it less stars. However, I think it's important to review the hat based on what it was designed for, and not in how it failed to meet my needs. I think this hat shines if you want:

1. Goretex rain protection for multi-hour downpours. I've used it in this way and it worked flawlessly.
  2. A full brim to keep the rain and sun out of your eyes and off (most of) your neck. Top marks here.
  3. Light insulation for weather that's not too hot and not yet very cold.  If you need ear protection from the cold, this would be the wrong hat to wear.

So, how did I want to use it? I want to wear it while hiking. The problem is, the back of the full brim hits my backpack. I just can't wear it while hiking.

I also want it to be cooler / more breathable. I wanted to use it in more situations here in the Pacific NW, but the Gore-Tex creates a little too much insulation. So while it's keeping you dry, your head gets sweaty and hot because there just isn't enough air moving through the thing.

In every other way, I love this hat. If you have a backpack with a top that sits at / below your shoulders, then this should work fine. Unfortunately for me, my packs all sit a little high so this hat gets left at home for hiking.  However, I use it for everything else I can... dang it's comfortable and cool (to me).

Hope that helps.  Happy hiking!

Visit Outdoor Research's Seattle Sombrero Multicam page.

Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero MulticamHave a great time on your adventure with this Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Multicam. This hat from outdoor research features premium waterproof GORE-TEX nylon to keep your head protected from light and heavy rain, so that you get through your adventure. The crown and brim are made with 100% nylon 70D taslan, for superior performance. It also has 100% polyester lining. This very useful hat is breathable and made to provide you with a high degree of comfort. Its hook/loop tabs ensure that the brim is securely attached to the crown. It has a chin cord to keep the hat on firmly. Its wicking feature keeps your head dry, despite the heat. There are various sizes to choose from, giving you a selection to find the right one for you. Plus, it comes in a design that is sure to stand out among the rest. Take your adventures to another level with this Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Multicam.

- SunnySports

Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Multicam Seattle Sombrero FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Multicam Seattle Sombrero Backpacker Magazine's 2005 Editor's Choice Gold Award Waterproof Breathable Moisture-Managing Seam Taped Foam-Stiffened Brim Floats Brushed Tricot Lining Internal Cinch-Band Adjustment Hook/Look Tabs Secure Brim to Dome Removable Chin Cord SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Multicam Seattle Sombrero Weight: (L): 3.2 oz / 91 g Brim: 3in. front and sides, 3 3/4in. back / 8 cm front and sides, 9.5 cm back Gore-Tex 3L, 100% nylon 70D Taslan Crown and brim 100% polyester lining This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Tested in some of the heartiest downpours the world has to offer, the GORE-TEX, Backpacker Magazine award-winning ""Sea Somb"" is a rainy day classic. The shell offers ultimate waterproof protection, and the brushed lining wicks perspiration away from the skin. The shaped brim directs water away from your face when in monsoon-like conditions.This product will be shipped directly from Outdoor Research and will leave their warehouse in 2-3 business days. Eligible for UPS ground shipping only.

- EMS

Yell Arriba! and head out into the drizzle with the waterproof Seattle Sombrero in the camouflage color Multicam from Outdoor Research. Your head won't suffer from the northwestern clime thanks to fully seam-taped GORE-TEX fabric and a wide, foam-stiffened brim that floats in case your hat gets knocked into the harbor. Hook-and-loop tabs secure the brim to the dome when you don't want full coverage while the removable chin cord offers a secure fit in windy conditions. 3-inch front/side brim, 3.75-inch back brim.

- Mountain Gear