Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Multicam

If you want a hat with Goretex rain protection, a…

Summary

If you want a hat with Goretex rain protection, a full brim, and light insulation then this may be one of the finest hats you could choose.

Pros

• Warm in transition weather (not hot, and not yet very cold)
  • Breathable waterproof with Goretex — top marks here
  • If you like Multicam, then this is darn swell. I dig it.

Cons

• Gore-Tex is what it is. I like it. Unfortunately it's a little too hot for summer months here in the Puget Sound of WA State.

20140203_064832.jpg
20140203_064909.jpg

I do have a problem with this hat, and I want to give it less stars. However, I think it's important to review the hat based on what it was designed for, and not in how it failed to meet my needs. I think this hat shines if you want:

1. Goretex rain protection for multi-hour downpours. I've used it in this way and it worked flawlessly.
  2. A full brim to keep the rain and sun out of your eyes and off (most of) your neck. Top marks here.
  3. Light insulation for weather that's not too hot and not yet very cold.  If you need ear protection from the cold, this would be the wrong hat to wear.

So, how did I want to use it? I want to wear it while hiking. The problem is, the back of the full brim hits my backpack. I just can't wear it while hiking.

I also want it to be cooler / more breathable. I wanted to use it in more situations here in the Pacific NW, but the Gore-Tex creates a little too much insulation. So while it's keeping you dry, your head gets sweaty and hot because there just isn't enough air moving through the thing.

In every other way, I love this hat. If you have a backpack with a top that sits at / below your shoulders, then this should work fine. Unfortunately for me, my packs all sit a little high so this hat gets left at home for hiking.  However, I use it for everything else I can... dang it's comfortable and cool (to me).

Hope that helps.  Happy hiking!

If you've owned or used an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Multicam, please share your experience.