Outdoor Research Transcendent Hoody

I recently bought a new down jacket made by OR Outdoor…

Summary

I recently bought a new down jacket made by OR Outdoor Research, the men's Transcendent Hoody. I bought it both for looks and warmth. I ride my bicycle to work every morning 6 miles. When it's quite cold (was 22 yesterday at 6 am when I did) with a wind chill of about 7 degrees biking at 20 mph it kept me very warm.

I bought the color called Lemongrass with Evergreen color inside.

I recommend it for both style and comfort.

Pros

• It has two large zippered hand pockets outside and a left chest large zippered pocket too.
  • The waist and hood have drawstrings that tighten both for around the head/face and waist.
  • The cuffs are cut snug and its front main zipper is windproof.

Cons

• I have found no weaknesses in the jacket so far.

I bought the OR Transcendent Hoody about a month ago from their online store. I got it mainly right at first for keeping me warm on my daily bicycle ride to work early in the mornings when it's cold outside and the wind chill is colder as I move through the air.

It has both a drawstring waist and also one around the hood to hold it around the edges of my face. There are tow large hand pockets with zippers that pull up to close making it easier to close the pockets with ease. And there is a left breast pocket large enough to hold other items with a easy pull zipper as well. The cuffs on the wrists are cut fairly well to help hold out the cold there very good.

The front main zipper has a windproof backing. The whole jacket holds away the air from passing through.

I have yet to be cold in it and it does seem to vent fairly well keeping me from overheating in it.

In the month I have been wearing it, the jacket has been a warm, desirable item to wear when I cycle to work.

My-new-Outdoor-Research-Parka.jpg

Wondered when you would review this Gary. What do you think about the review that says it leaks down?

It leaks down like crazy! This jacket is light, windproof,…

Summary

It leaks down like crazy!

Pros

• Warm
  • Light
  • Windproof

Cons

• Leaks A LOT of down

This jacket is light, windproof, and reasonably warm. However, it can't be used in "non-outdoor" activities since it leaks A LOT of down every time your wear it. It's simply annoying and shameful to take off your jacket and look like you've been hugging a chicken.

Also, once the down gets attached to your clothes (mainly regular t-shirts), it will never leave them, no matter how many times you wash it or brush it.

If you are looking for a thin down jacket, I'd recommend some other brand/model.

I would NOT recommend this jacket to a friend. DON'T BUY IT!

I have the same problem with my Stoic cardigan. Feathers everywhere.

If you want to stay warm and feel like you're wearing…

Summary

If you want to stay warm and feel like you're wearing something as light as a cloud then you should pick up this jacket. It's quite reasonably priced compared to other brands' comparable options and with Outdoor Research's lifetime satisfaction warranty you really can't go wrong.

Pros

• Warm
  • Light weight
  • Reasonably priced
  • Lifetime warranty

Cons

• Not water resistant

It fits nice and snug. I'm 6'2", 160 lbs and I wear a medium quite comfortably. I can get a couple of layers underneath or use it as a layer under a shell.

When you wear this jacket it's like you're being enveloped in a warm cloud that might just float away. Mine is 800 fill, although they've gone back to a 650 fill in the current model.

The jacket is fairly windproof and with a shell I've used it in temps down to 10°F. Has held up wonderfully over the two years that I've owned it. Packs nice and small into its own inner pocket. The hood is a nice touch and with the draw-cords you can get it form fitted. It's big enough to wear a helmet underneath.

Like all Outdoor Research gear it's well made, priced quite competitively, and with the lifetime warranty definitely a product worth adding to your collection.

Perfect for the ultralight backpacker. Warm and comfortable…

Perfect for the ultralight backpacker. Warm and comfortable with a great attached insulated hood. Highly compressible. Very low weight.

Perfect with a good baselayer and a shell.

I have used this for two five-day trips and would have given it 5 stars except it loss a lot of down during my first trip. Only small particles. Still an excellent jacket.