Outdoor Research Tremor Jacket

OR is making some really nice outerwear these days.

Fabric: Gore Windstopper Softshell

OR is making some really nice outerwear these days.

This tremor jacket is very well designed and executed. The materials are top notch. The features are well thought out. The only reason I don't give it five stars is the way it fits me... and that's a personal thing for me.

Materials: primarily gore wind-stopper soft shell fabric. There are also some areas that use some other type of stretch nylon. The wind-stopper soft shell fabric is light but tough. It is not stretchy itself. The stretch nylon panels are strategically placed to enhance your mobility. It is, as you would expect from the name, quite wind resistant. In fact I'd say it's more windproof than other softshell jackets I've worn (Cloudveil and Patagonia for example). It's also pretty water resistant - again perhaps a bit more thoroughly water-resistant than other softshell jackets I've worn. On the downside, I'd say it's less breathable than other softshells.

Features: nice selection of pockets, well-placed. Nice detachable hood. Pit-zips are welcome on this jacket because as I said above, the fabric is perhaps not as breathable as some other softshells.

Worksmanship seems impeccable. Very nicely made. Much of the jacket is welded construction. Very nice.

My only complaint would be the fit/cut of the jacket. First of all, it's cut a bit small. I'm normally a size L. In this jacket I needed an XL. And, I'm no adonis, but like many climbers (I suspect), my shoulders are broader than my midsection. This jacket seems to be cut very square. For me this means that the jacket is too tight for me through the chest and shoulders, and pretty loose for me around the midsection. Even with the stretchy nylon panel across the upper back, I feel a bit constricted in this jacket. And, there is a lot of extra fabric down low where I would normally want to tuck it into my climbing harness. Fit-wise, I'm just going to say that this is not ideal for me.

The Tremor Jacket by Outdoor Research takes advantage of GORE-TEX WINDSTOPPER soft shell fabric to protect you in cold, windy or variable conditions while you climb, ride or trek. It feature articulation in the elbows for free and easy movement while strategically placed fleece backing wicks moisture to keep you moving in comfort.

- Mountain Gear

The Outdoor Research Men's Tremor Jacket fights off howling winds and moisture with fully seam-taped, water-resistant WindStopper Soft Shell material. A soft tricot lining provides a comfortable feel and increases moistures transfer for better breathability. Outdoor Research designers gave the Tremor Jacket a removable hood to let you adjust this jacket for both stormy conditions and bluebird days. They also placed the two hand pockets above the waistline, so you can access them when you wear a climbing harness or backpack.

- Backcountry Outlet

Biting winds are stopped dead in their tracks with this all-mountain soft shell jacket. The breathable, water-resistant WindStopper¨ Soft Shell fabric is seam taped to keep the weather in check. The tricot body/fleece yoke backing and removable hood will keep you toasty and warm without overheating.

- Teton Village Sports

Built with WINDSTOPPER Soft Shell fabric, the Outdoor Research Tremor Jacket for Men provides complete weather protection. Fully seam taped, completely windproof and delivering excellent resistance to rain and snow, the Tremor will keep the weather in check. With double-sliding pit zips and a removable hood, you can control your temperature and airflow, so you don't over heat when skinning up and you stay toasty warm on the way back down.

- Altrec Outdoors

Description of Outdoor Research Tremor JacketBiting winds are stopped dead in their tracks with this all-mountain soft shell jacket. The breathable, water-resistant WindStopper® Soft Shell fabric is seam taped to keep the weather in check. The tricot body

- US Outdoor Store

Outdoor Research Tremor Jacket

The Tremor Jacket has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Research Tremor Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.