Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters

Waterproof enough but TIGHT in the calves. I wear…

Summary

Waterproof enough but TIGHT in the calves.

Pros

• Light weight
  • waterproof

Cons

• Tight in the calf
  • Not too breathable

I wear these in summer snow on glaciers and on winter trips to the mountains to hunt and cut the Christmas tree.

I bought them on clearance so I couldn't return them, but if I could, I would. The charts stated that the Large size was the one for my boot size. That is true. They fit my boots just fine, really well as a matter of fact.

What is not mentioned is that my, evidently freakishly large, calves BARELY fit in them. The circumference of my calf is about 18.5". The velcro closure on the front does not completely close and I get a little powder leakage when I wade through deep snow.Occasionally the velcro seal will burst open (twice in one day) and I have to readjust things.  Low/thin socks, thin long johns and anything but the lightest pants are all I can fit under these things.

If I had known they were this tight I'd have gotten the XL but my feet are only 9.5 so I got the Large.

I like the tightening strap and the arch strap a lot; they are bomber. I like everything else about these things. I guess it's my fault for buying clothes w/o trying it on first. These are my third pair of gaiters. I have never had this issue before.

These are great. I've hiked over 150 miles with them.

Fabric: cordura
Price Paid: 40$

These are great. I've hiked over 150 miles with them. The only thing that I don't like is that when it is too warm out they don't breath as well as I would like, but for their waterproofness I guess I can't ask too much more.

I bought this for snowshoeing, and was debating between…

I bought this for snowshoeing, and was debating between these and the OR Croc Gaiters. I am glad I went with these. I saved a few bucks and these are lighter, fit GREAT and have kept my legs dry on 8 - 9 hour trips trudging through powder all day.

The only beef I have with these is that the hook that's supposed to hook on your lace does sit too low on my North Face boots. But I don't think that this is a design flaw of the gaiters but a compatibility issue with my boot and gaiter combo. The hook works great on other footwear I have tried. (Also I have noticed no ill affects from using these gaiters without the lace hook attached.)

Visit Outdoor Research's Men's Verglas Gaiters page.

Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for MenInclude the Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for Men with the rest of your gear, to enhance your time out in the outdoors. These gaiters from Outdoor Research comes with webbing/cam buckle top closures and reinforced boot lace hooks to make sure that they stay firmly on when you most need them. The molded boot section ensures great compatibility with your boots, for easy wear. They're made of 100% nylon, 3-layer 50D ripstop Ventia, and coated 500D Cordura, to make them tough enough to handle all the rigours of your adventures. The Cordura material is abrasion resistant, so they last for a longer time. The gaiters give great breathable comfort for your feet, so that you feel comfortable as you walk or hike along. These gaiters are waterproof to protect your feet from the rain and mud. Have a great time in the outdoors with these Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for Men.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

The Outdoor Research Men's Verglas Gaiter provides tough waterproof breathable protection with the same sculpted fit as the famed Crocodile Gaiter, but the Verglas remains lighter and more packable. Strategically placed 500D Cordura protects the gaiter from sharp crampons and abrasive terrain while the hook-and-loop front closure makes for easy on and off.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Men's Verglas Gaiters FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Men's Verglas Gaiters Ventia Dry Construction Waterproof Ventia leg Durable, abrasion-resistant Cordura boot Boot section shaped for durability, ventilation Webbing and cam buckle top closure 1 1/2in.-Wide hook/loop front closure Double-riveted boot lace hook Hypalon instep strap SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Men's Verglas Gaiters Weight: L, per pair: 7.4 oz / 210 g Fabric: 100% nylon, 3-layer, 50D ripstop Ventia, Coated 500D Cordura This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

We put our award-winning Crocodiles on a diet, and the Verglas Gaiters were the result. Designed to be lighter and easily packable, the Verglas Gaiters are built with durable Pertex Shield waterproof/breathable fabric while retaining the performance fit the famous Crocs.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version