Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters

Waterproof enough but TIGHT in the calves. I wear…

Summary

Waterproof enough but TIGHT in the calves.

Pros

• Light weight
  • waterproof

Cons

• Tight in the calf
  • Not too breathable

I wear these in summer snow on glaciers and on winter trips to the mountains to hunt and cut the Christmas tree.

I bought them on clearance so I couldn't return them, but if I could, I would. The charts stated that the Large size was the one for my boot size. That is true. They fit my boots just fine, really well as a matter of fact.

What is not mentioned is that my, evidently freakishly large, calves BARELY fit in them. The circumference of my calf is about 18.5". The velcro closure on the front does not completely close and I get a little powder leakage when I wade through deep snow.Occasionally the velcro seal will burst open (twice in one day) and I have to readjust things.  Low/thin socks, thin long johns and anything but the lightest pants are all I can fit under these things.

If I had known they were this tight I'd have gotten the XL but my feet are only 9.5 so I got the Large.

I like the tightening strap and the arch strap a lot; they are bomber. I like everything else about these things. I guess it's my fault for buying clothes w/o trying it on first. These are my third pair of gaiters. I have never had this issue before.

These are great. I've hiked over 150 miles with them.

Fabric: cordura
Price Paid: 40$

These are great. I've hiked over 150 miles with them. The only thing that I don't like is that when it is too warm out they don't breath as well as I would like, but for their waterproofness I guess I can't ask too much more.

I bought this for snowshoeing, and was debating between…

I bought this for snowshoeing, and was debating between these and the OR Croc Gaiters. I am glad I went with these. I saved a few bucks and these are lighter, fit GREAT and have kept my legs dry on 8 - 9 hour trips trudging through powder all day.

The only beef I have with these is that the hook that's supposed to hook on your lace does sit too low on my North Face boots. But I don't think that this is a design flaw of the gaiters but a compatibility issue with my boot and gaiter combo. The hook works great on other footwear I have tried. (Also I have noticed no ill affects from using these gaiters without the lace hook attached.)

Visit Outdoor Research's Men's Verglas Gaiters page.

The Outdoor Research Verglas Men's Gaiters are similar to the Crocs but if you've ever thought about trimming a few ounces off your Crocs these are the gaiters for you. They're designed to be lighter and more packable, with the same fit and performance of the originals.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Cover ground quickly in the backcountry or blast through a bushwhack approach with the Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters. They are designed to move fast and carry light in the mountains.

- REI refers to the men's version

The Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters a lightweight and packable gaiter that's easy to take anywhere. With a Pertex Shield upper and a durable Cordura lower these gaiters will protect you from weather and trail debris. Breathable Lightweight Webbing/Cam Buckle Top Closure Reinforced Boot Lace Hook Molded Boot Section Hypalon

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for MenImprove all your outings with the Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for Men. These verglas gaiters come with abrasion-resistant Cordura boots, for a superior and long-lasting durability. The gaiters are waterproof so that they ward off the rain, snow, and even mud, as you walk or hike along, keeping your feet dry, so that you are comfortable throughout your entire adventure. The reinforced boot lace hooks make sure that the gaiters stay securely on at the bottom, while the webbing/cam buckle top closure fastens them at the top for a more snug fit. These gaiters are very breathable, allowing you to wear them for extended periods of time, with no discomfort whatsoever. Plus, they are impressively lightweight at only 7.3 oz., so that you do not feel bogged down by added weight. Take your adventures to another level with these Outdoor Research Verglas Gaiters for Men.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version