Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter

Gaiters are gaiters, but the instep strap on the OR's…

Price Paid: $45-50

Summary

Gaiters are gaiters, but the instep strap on the OR's is the best.

Pros

• Nice fit
  • Durable (if the instep straps are fit right)
  • They do the job.

Cons

• Pricey
  • Need perhaps a little instruction to fit the instep properly
  • Scratchy upper stitching on cuff

I've done the John Muir Trail now a bunch of times and the one thing I always end up tossing at the end of the trail (besides that WAG BAG) is my gaiters. Hasn't mattered which brand—I just end up wearing a hole on the inside ankle. Maybe you don't have this problem.

I would recommend these OR gaiters if for nothing else, OR has come up with a remarkably durable in-step strap. They call it, "Bio-Thane" which I am learning is nothing new, but aside from tearing up my gaiters, the in-step strap is always the first to go and this last JMT, after all 211-plus miles were done, I had barely made a mark on the in-step straps.

Not so for the gaiter fabric though. the bio-thane in-step straps are adjustable by using the hooks at either end and sliding the straps up and into a series of slots.

I learned the hard way that it is better to have the inside ankle strap lower on the rung, so I would not be bashing it all the time in a sensitive area. The rule for using them, if they came with directions/tips would be "hook the outside high and the inside low"

I also wanted to give these a durability test, so I didn't beef up the hot spots (my ankles) where I know I tend to ruin gaiters, but my advice and this goes for any gaiter, would be to reinforce them––especially the inside ankle bone area) with an iron-on patch.

After shredding them (before i figured out how to adjust the in-step properly) I brought them home, washed them in plain warm water and then applied the patches to both sides of the inside ankle area.

It's also a small peeve of mine––I find the upper cuff stitching to be annoying, so I end up pulling my sock up and over the cuff in order to stop the scratching. This ends up leaving the small bit of sock dusty and able to snag, but then the exposed sock also helps to keep the fit snug.

I like the velcro closure. There's a lot of it, so getting the gaiters to fit snugly around your boots and ankles isn't too hard.

Having patched up my holes ( see photo) I think these gaiters will certainly have a few more JMTs in them.

GetAttachment-aspx.jpg

Nice review, Bob! Any problems with the velcro getting mucked up in muddy conditions?

gregf BRAND REP

Good review. A few years back i helped bring the MEC ferrata gaiter to market. Biothane as noted is way better than a lot of the alternatives but we opted to use an injected urethane strap which, if one specs the right shore hardness, seems to have multi-year durability. I'd suggest the OR crew consider this for their program-in my humble opinion it is superior.

JMTx13

Greg, thanks . . . and if we could just get MEC gear here in California ( can we? ) and maybe OR will go with "injected urethane" versus "Bio-thane" (and the difference is . . . ? ) but just to further my plug for the OR's . . . I like that the strap is inside the gaiter, making the outside a lot sleeker and . . . I seem to recall a nasty meeting with a crampon where my clod-factor was high and I tripped onto a gaiter similar to the MEC and got caught in the outside strap/buckle as well as shredded the gaiter a bit . . . same move would no doubt do the same to the OR (unless my burly iron-on patch can stop sharp crampons!!) but anyway . . . we just need some snow here for further gaiter debate/testing.

gregf BRAND REP

Don't get me wrong -i like OR gaiters, i just think the strap, while good, could be improved. Meanwhile up here in Vancouver, its game on for skiing in the mtns behind the city and unlike the rest of the province, the avalanche hazard is ok -so its' off to dawn patrol i go before heading into work!

JMTx13

"off to dawn patrol i go before heading into work!" just be safe out there . . . . and when you dig that pit, shovel it to the south, way south!

gregf BRAND REP

Thanks for the kind note -the north shore mtns of vancouver are very locked down for hazard -only place in bc as the rest of the province is on a hair trigger!

The Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter is a super-packable, step-in gaiter that is versatile enough for all your adventures.Sometimes it's a mystery as to what you might encounter on the approach. For days when you don't know if you'll be crossing snowfields or not, toss these gaiters into your pack and rest assured your feet will stay dry on the hike up. Made with water-resistant soft shell fabric.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiters for MenThe Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiters for Men are an excellent ally in your outdoors adventures, when you must face the most challenging environments. Its silicone anti-slip prints let you have firm and sure traction, even in wet, frozen, or slippery ground. These gaiters designed, it perfectly fit with your feet's movements, providing comfort for every step taken. In addition, its removable BioThane instep straps adjust to your feet and are light, making them easy to wear. The double pivoting boot hooks prevent the gaiter from coming loose. The gaiters are lightweight at only 4.8 oz., making them ideal for long hikes in hard and demanding terrain. Enjoy your mountaineering and hiking trips, using these protective and useful Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiters for Men.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

You keep an extra rain jacket in your pack in case of emergencies, why not a pair of gaiters' That's what Outdoor Research designed the Wrapid Gaiter for. This lightweight, super-packable gaiter is always ready when you stumble upon an unwelcome scree field, snow field, or bog.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Sometimes it's a mystery as to what you might encounter on the approach. For days when you don't know if you'll be crossing snowfields or not, toss the Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter into your pack and rest assured your feet will stay dry on the hike up. Using the same water-resistant soft shell fabric as our Cirque Jacket and pants, the Wrapid is a super-packable, step-in gaiter that is versatile enough for all your adventures. Infinite Guarantee - Outdoor Research products are guaranteed forever. Adjustable and Removable Lightweight BioThane Instep Strap. Silicone Anti-Slip Prints at Heel. Movement-Mirroring Stretch. Lightweight and Durable BioThane Instep Strap. Double Pivoting Boot Hooks. 0.5"-Wide Hook/Loop Front Closure. Fabric: 50% nylon, 43% polyester, 7% spandex double weave. Avg. Weight (oz./g): 4.8 / 136. Available Color(s): Black/Lemongrass

- Tahoe Mountain Sports refers to the men's version

On Sale. Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter Movement-Mirroring Stretch Silicone Anti-Slip Prints at Heel Hook/Loop Front Closure Double Pivoting Boot Hooks Adjustable and Removable Lightweight BioThane Instep Strap SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter Weight: per pair: (L/XL): 4.8 oz / 136 g 50% nylon, 43% polyester, 7% spandex double weave This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version