Outdoor Research Wrapid Gaiter

Gaiters are gaiters, but the instep strap on the OR's…

Price Paid: $45-50

Summary

Gaiters are gaiters, but the instep strap on the OR's is the best.

Pros

• Nice fit
  • Durable (if the instep straps are fit right)
  • They do the job.

Cons

• Pricey
  • Need perhaps a little instruction to fit the instep properly
  • Scratchy upper stitching on cuff

I've done the John Muir Trail now a bunch of times and the one thing I always end up tossing at the end of the trail (besides that WAG BAG) is my gaiters. Hasn't mattered which brand—I just end up wearing a hole on the inside ankle. Maybe you don't have this problem.

I would recommend these OR gaiters if for nothing else, OR has come up with a remarkably durable in-step strap. They call it, "Bio-Thane" which I am learning is nothing new, but aside from tearing up my gaiters, the in-step strap is always the first to go and this last JMT, after all 211-plus miles were done, I had barely made a mark on the in-step straps.

Not so for the gaiter fabric though. the bio-thane in-step straps are adjustable by using the hooks at either end and sliding the straps up and into a series of slots.

I learned the hard way that it is better to have the inside ankle strap lower on the rung, so I would not be bashing it all the time in a sensitive area. The rule for using them, if they came with directions/tips would be "hook the outside high and the inside low"

I also wanted to give these a durability test, so I didn't beef up the hot spots (my ankles) where I know I tend to ruin gaiters, but my advice and this goes for any gaiter, would be to reinforce them––especially the inside ankle bone area) with an iron-on patch.

After shredding them (before i figured out how to adjust the in-step properly) I brought them home, washed them in plain warm water and then applied the patches to both sides of the inside ankle area.

It's also a small peeve of mine––I find the upper cuff stitching to be annoying, so I end up pulling my sock up and over the cuff in order to stop the scratching. This ends up leaving the small bit of sock dusty and able to snag, but then the exposed sock also helps to keep the fit snug.

I like the velcro closure. There's a lot of it, so getting the gaiters to fit snugly around your boots and ankles isn't too hard.

Having patched up my holes ( see photo) I think these gaiters will certainly have a few more JMTs in them.

GetAttachment-aspx.jpg

Nice review, Bob! Any problems with the velcro getting mucked up in muddy conditions?

gregf BRAND REP

Good review. A few years back i helped bring the MEC ferrata gaiter to market. Biothane as noted is way better than a lot of the alternatives but we opted to use an injected urethane strap which, if one specs the right shore hardness, seems to have multi-year durability. I'd suggest the OR crew consider this for their program-in my humble opinion it is superior.

JMTx13

Greg, thanks . . . and if we could just get MEC gear here in California ( can we? ) and maybe OR will go with "injected urethane" versus "Bio-thane" (and the difference is . . . ? ) but just to further my plug for the OR's . . . I like that the strap is inside the gaiter, making the outside a lot sleeker and . . . I seem to recall a nasty meeting with a crampon where my clod-factor was high and I tripped onto a gaiter similar to the MEC and got caught in the outside strap/buckle as well as shredded the gaiter a bit . . . same move would no doubt do the same to the OR (unless my burly iron-on patch can stop sharp crampons!!) but anyway . . . we just need some snow here for further gaiter debate/testing.

gregf BRAND REP

Don't get me wrong -i like OR gaiters, i just think the strap, while good, could be improved. Meanwhile up here in Vancouver, its game on for skiing in the mtns behind the city and unlike the rest of the province, the avalanche hazard is ok -so its' off to dawn patrol i go before heading into work!

JMTx13

"off to dawn patrol i go before heading into work!" just be safe out there . . . . and when you dig that pit, shovel it to the south, way south!

gregf BRAND REP

Thanks for the kind note -the north shore mtns of vancouver are very locked down for hazard -only place in bc as the rest of the province is on a hair trigger!

JMTx13

Well, so much for the Wrapids . . . I was very impressed with them on my last (2013) JMT, but it only took one small section of the SHR ( Sierra High Route) with its constant and sharp granite to destroy the Biothane in-step strap and the velcro totally gave out on me.

JMTx13

. . . I spent time on the SHR trying to figure out why they were falling apart, but couldn't think of anything I had done. I washed then in cold tap water before I applied my patches ( see my above review) so don't think I shrunk them----the velcro totally gave out----causing me a few moments of stress while trying to both climb and suddenly deal with a snagged, dragging gaiter. did not like that. At the end of six days I felt like I was sporting a pair of ghetto-gang-banger-gaiters that constantly had to be pulled up and . . . it was as though all the velcro had just been worn away--there's no more grab to 'em.

Bob, I would encourage you to edit your review and rating. When I've had problems with products like this, I usually write an entirely new review above my original write up.

gregf BRAND REP

My experience regarding instep straps is that just about any material will get shredded in sharp scree. I've found that the injected pu strap of appropriate durometer seems to be the best bet overall,