Pacific Outdoor Equipment InsulMat Max-Mtn

This product has a lot of great qualities which are…

This product has a lot of great qualities which are overshadowed by its vulnerability to leaks. We have two women's longs bought in 2005. Each has leaked three times and currently has a leak I can't find. It really doesn't matter how great the insulation is, how compact it rolls up, or how light the pad is if you are flat on the ground. We don't abuse our sleeping pads - they've always been used on a tent floor. Two Therm-a-rests lasted five years until we wanted something more compact.

Best sleeping pad I've ever used. Nice combination…

Best sleeping pad I've ever used.

Nice combination of low weight, toughness and comfort.

It's essentially a foam pad with the ability to put air in to add to the comfort. The foam is different thicknesses for different parts of the body; ie, the foam under your feet and legs is a bit thinner than the foam under your core body area. I've used it spring, summer and fall. I have not used it in winter yet, but I don't foresee it posing any problems in terms of providing insulation and protection from cold-from-below.

It uses a nice outer fabric that is not too slippery. The fabric is quite rugged and it comes with a patch kit. The air valve is metal, not cheap plastic. It is a really well-designed and executed piece. I highly recommend it.