Patagonia Alpine Guide Jacket

Water resistant and wind proof. Soooo it does what…

Price Paid: $99.99 USD

Summary

Water resistant and wind proof. Soooo it does what it's supposed to.

Pros

• Water resistant and wind proof
  • Looks good

Cons

• The fit is a little off
  • The wrists are huge

The fit is off to me. I am 6'0'', 145 and I usually wear a large in soft shell jackets, so I ordered a large when getting this jacket. That is SO off. The jacket goes down to my crotch, the arms slide down to my knuckles, and the wrist velcro is barely long enough for me to get it tight. I guess I would have to give it a 5 for adjustability!

I must be in between sizes because I sent it back for a medium and everything was so tight I could barely move. I eventually went back to the large. I will say the large gives me enough movement even with layers on underneath, so if you're hesitant, go a size up.

Like I said earlier, the adjustability gets a 5/5. The velcro adjusters on the wrists give ample amount of strap to fit a lot of different wrist sizes and still get a nice fit. The cinching cords on the bottom of the jacket create a nice seal to keep out snow, rain, dirt, whatever.

The water-resistant material used is a lifesaver. For example, went fishing last weekend on the Chatahoochee in the pouring rain and I never got a drop on my torso or arms. Everything covered by this jacket stayed nice and dry and wicked the moisture right off the outside. I have noticed that during heavy snow that the jacket becomes a bit icy but I have no idea what that's from. Normal?

I use this jacket mostly while cold-weather backpacking and a little bit of general use around town (because it looks sleek!). When I'm busy hiking, I don't really notice a lot of heat building up inside. From the use I've put it through, it seems to be wicking the moisture right off my skin and evaporating it off the outside.

I would hesitate to recommend this shell as a go-to shell for all activities because it really only works well when you are being active. It simply isn't made to keep you warm while you're standing still.

Though I said earlier that the jacket is a bit big for my frame, I does work well when coupled with base layers under and another layer on top. By itself, I would say to wear a small fleece or flannel if you plan on standing around a lot.

Whatever material it is made of stands up extremely well to weathering and abrasion, may that be on rocks, branches, dirt, etc. I use mine sometimes as a jacket to wear while climbing in windy weather and I have yet to have a problem with rocks seriously scratching the outside.

Everything works as advertised. I got the jacket at a very nice price so I can't really have too many complaints (regularly $299.99 USD and I got it for $99.99 USD).

From Looking Glass to Alexander's Chimney, autumn for alpine climbers runs the gamut from good granite to scratchy mixed. The Alpine Guide Jacket moves, protects and breathes for all mountain endeavors. It relies on our best-ever Guide fabric, a Polartec(R) Power Shield(R) stretch-woven blend (nylon/polyester/spandex) with Hardface(R) Technology that dramatically improves the Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish's resistance to wind, water, snow and abrasion, while remaining stretchy and highly breathable. The articulated sleeves encourage mobility, while the brushed interior enhances next-to-skin comfort and moisture management. A chest pocket and two handwarmer pockets sit above the harness line and close with coated, water-resistant zippers. Self-fabric hook-and-loop closures at the cuffs, a dual-adjust drawcord at the waist and microfleece lining on the collar, chin guard and wind flap round out the features.

- Patagonia.com

On Sale. Free Shipping. Patagonia Men's Alpine Guide Jacket FEATURES of the Patagonia Men's Alpine Guide Jacket Polar Tec Power Shield stretch-woven nylon/polyester blend is highly breathable, wind resistant and durable Brushed interior for next-to-skin comfort and moisture management Micro fleece-lined collar, chin guard and wind flap One chest and two harness- and pack-compatible hand warmer pockets with PU-coated zippers Articulated sleeves for full coverage and mobility Self-fabric hook-and-loop cuff closure Dual-adjust draw cord hem SPECIFICATIONS of the Patagonia Men's Alpine Guide Jacket Regular fit Weight: 18.5 oz / 524 g 7.1-oz, Polartec Power Shield stretch-woven 46% nylon 46% polyester 8% spandex, with a Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

On days where dawn-patrol ski tours lead to scratchy mixed chimneys, the Alpine Guide moves, protects and breathes. It relies on our best-ever Guide fabric, a Polartec(R) Power Shield(R) stretch-woven blend (nylon/polyester/spandex) with Hardface(R) Technology that dramatically improves the Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish's resistance to wind, water, snow and abrasion, while remaining stretchy and highly breathable. The articulated sleeves encourage mobility, while the brushed interior enhances next-to-skin comfort and moisture management. A chest pocket and two hand pockets sit above the harness line and close with coated, water-resistant zippers. Self-fabric hook-and-loop closures at the cuffs, a dual-adjust drawcord at the waist and microfleece lining on the collar, chin guard and wind flap round out the features.Details Highly breathable, wind-resistant, Polartec Power Shield stretch woven nylon/polyester blend is durable and comfortable Brushed interior for next-to-skin comfort and moisture management Microfleece-lined collar, chin guard and wind flap One chest pocket and two handwarmer pockets with PU-coated zippers Articulated sleeves for enhanced mobility and full coverage Self-fabric hook-and-loop cuff closure Dual-adjust drawcord hem 7.1-oz Polartec(R) Power Shield stretch-woven 46% nylon/46% polyester/8% spandex with Hardface(R) Technology and a Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish 524 g (18.5 oz) TechnologyDeluge(R) DWRPatagonia's proprietary durable water repellent fabric finish, Deluge DWR, lasts substantially longer than standard DWRs. Garments with the Deluge DWR finish have like-new repellency after years of extensive use.

- Mountains Plus

Patagonia Mens Alpine Guide Jacket - Closeout - A durable soft-shell jacket with a wind-resistant Polartec(R) Power Shield(R) stretch-woven fabric that wicks moisture on extended, demanding climbs or ski tours. On days where dawn-patrol ski tours lead to scratchy mixed chimneys, the Alpine Guide moves, protects and breathes. It relies on our best-ever Guide fabric, a Polartec(R) Power Shield(R) stretch-woven blend (nylon/polyester/spandex) with Hardface(R) Technology that dramatically improves the Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish's resistance to wind, water, snow and abrasion, while remaining stretchy and highly breathable. The articulated sleeves encourage mobility, while the brushed interior enhances next-to-skin comfort and moisture management. A chest pocket and two hand pockets sit above the harness line and close with coated, water-resistant zippers. Self-fabric hook-and-loop closures at the cuffs, a dual-adjust drawcord at the waist and microfleece lining on the collar, chin guard and wind flap round out the features. Details Highly breathable, wind-resistant, Polartec Power Shield stretch woven nylon/polyester blend is durable and comfortable Brushed interior for next-to-skin comfort and moisture management Microfleece-lined collar, chin guard and wind flap One chest pocket and two handwarmer pockets with PU-coated zippers Articulated sleeves for enhanced mobility and full coverage Self-fabric hook-and-loop cuff closure Dual-adjust drawcord hem 7.1-oz Polartec(R) Power Shield stretch-woven 46% nylon/46% polyester/8% spandex with Hardface(R) Technology and a Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish 524 g (18.5 oz) Made in Vietnam.

- Massey's Outfitters

A durable soft-shell jacket with a wind-resistant Polartec Power Shield stretch-woven fabric that wicks moisture on extended, demanding climbs or ski tours. On days where dawn-patrol ski tours lead to scratchy mixed chimneys, the Alpine Guide moves, protects and breathes. It relies on our best-ever Guide fabric, a Polartec Power Shield stretch-woven blend (nylon/polyester/spandex) with Hardface Technology that dramatically improves the Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish's resistance to wind, water, snow and abrasion, while remaining stretchy and highly breathable. The articulated sleeves encourage mobility, while the brushed interior enhances next-to-skin comfort and moisture management. A chest pocket and two hand pockets sit above the harness line and close with coated, water-resistant zippers. Self-fabric hook-and-loop closures at the cuffs, a dual-adjust drawcord at the waist and microfleece lining on the collar, chin guard and wind flap round out the features. Highly breathable, wind-resistant, Polartec Power Shield stretch woven nylon/polyester blend is durable and comfortable. Brushed interior for next-to-skin comfort and moisture management. Microfleece-lined collar, chin guard and wind flap. One chest pocket and two handwarmer pockets with PU-coated zippers. Articulated sleeves for enhanced mobility and full coverage. Self-fabric hook-and-loop cuff closure. Dual-adjust drawcord hem. 7.1-oz Polartec Power Shield stretch-woven 46% nylon/46% polyester/8% spandex with Hardface Technology and a Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish. 524 g (18.5 oz).

- Rocky Mountain Trail