Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants

Weight 20 oz / 567 g
Fabric 7.6 oz 90-Denier 92% Polyester, 47% recycled / 8% Spandex
Finish Deluge® DWR

One the best winter pants I've every owned due to…

Price Paid: bought on sale on website

Summary

One the best winter pants I've every owned due to the almost magical fabric.

Pros

• Polartec Powershield
  • Durability

Cons

• Waist sizing

I own lots of softshell pants, perhaps too many. The Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants are generally found on the top of my pants heap.

The Polartec Powershield fabric is amazing. It is highly breathable and highly wind proof. The lightly brushed interior feels nice against my skin and the outside of the fabric remains surprisingly unblemished after a season of use.

I find they are best used in temperatures below 40°F and I've worn them down to 7°F with fleece tights underneath. They are my preferred pants for back country skinning, especially in the spring and I've never experienced sweat or steam build up on the inside. Even in 30-40 mph wind I don't feel a breeze inside my pants.

I've never worn these pants in the rain but even after extended periods of sitting or kneeling in spring snow I remain dry inside. There are three zippered pockets, I use the thigh pocket the most, usually my phone or chapstick are stored in that pocket.

I have a size 4 pant and am 5'4" 122 lbs former pro cyclist. So while I have well developed thighs and butt they are by no means big. The inseam is just right, the bottom opening is just right, the thighs and butt fit just right. the waist however is way too big and the built in belt doesn't get small enough.

I sewed the belt smaller but the pants continue to migrate south. The next size down was too small on my thighs and butt and I wouldn't have been able to fit even silkweight tights under them. If Patagonia made a size 3 it would probably be perfect.

Overall I highly recommend these pants. They are an integral part of my late fall/winter/spring adventure suit.

Here are the pants doing a handstand in Rocky Mountain National Park with ice skaters in the background.

guidepants.jpg

Thanks for the review, Barb!

Nice review. Any pics of these in the snow. Pics make a review sooo much more interesting.

Bill S

I have several pairs of the guide pants bought over several years, as does my wife. Overall, I agree with your ratings or maybe a half-star higher. Turns out that Pata seems to change the design of the pant from year to year. I am not referring to just the different levels (Guide, Alpine Guide, ...). One version of Alpine Guide I have takes a belt. Another has a built-in belt. A very similar Guide pant has suspenders built in (more like a salopette). My preference is the version that takes a belt and the zipper at the bottom of the legs. As you note, the array of zippered pockets is very useful (though this also is different year to year)

Nice picture and handstand, Barb!

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Alpine Guide Pants versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Alpine Guide Pants. Read all reviews »