Patagonia Alpine Wind Jacket

I wanted to try this type of lined windproof as my…

Price Paid: Half price in sale.

I wanted to try this type of lined windproof as my partner wears a Marmot one (the company that started it all off years ago). I have had wind shells in a similar fabric before and found that they didn't hold up very well to abrasion but this time I thought that if I took care of it, it should last.

Unfortunately, it isn't very tough. The outer material feels nice and looks fine but just doesn't resist tearing that well.

Fit is ok, typical Patagonia for shells (insulated pieces can be baggy): slim torso/chest and longish arms.

Pockets are also typical Patagonia: not in the right place for a technical jacket, which means they are covered by a hip belt.

The arms are not articulated enough and the material can drag just using trekking poles.

There is a newer fabric being made which has a kind of textured feel and a slight stretch. I would say look out for something made in this material as it is much tougher. If you get something in the regular windproof (smooth face, no stretch) then go for something heavier as used by Paramo UK, for example.

That being said, I now think lined windproofs are wonderful, especially over short sleeved baselayers, so I will be getting a better design once I fully destroy this.

Patagonia Alpine Wind Jacket

The Alpine Wind Jacket has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Alpine Wind Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new wind shirt, check out the best reviewed current models.