Patagonia Ascensionist 35L

Pretty much my go-to pack for all things NOT requiring…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Pretty much my go-to pack for all things NOT requiring the kitchen sink.

Pros

• Gear loops on the waistbelt
  • Strip-able to shave ounces
  • Simple closure

Cons

• If it has a hydration tube port I can't find it
  • I think it has been discontinued

35 Liters is just enough for me to go most places overnight as long as I am SUPER weight/bulk conscious and don't mind a few items strapped to the outside of the pack. The Ascensionist is a fantastic day-pack when you need everything and a decent over-nighter when you don't need much.

It's Patagonia, so the top-notch quality, workmanship, and features are to be expected in a pack such as this, so I won't dwell on the material or workmanship except to say that it's Patagonia, you paid for it, you got it.

IMG_20170909_095219900.jpgSummit scramble ready with room for more than you need

Fit: I am 5' 10" and this pack fit me perfectly. My 11-year-old daughter, not as much.

Comfort:  I found that the 25 pounds I carried in it were manageable. 35 might be pushing it.

IMG_20170902_173827491.jpgGirlfriend hiking (fiance at the time of writing) where you will carry pretty much everything. Check

Capacity: 35L is a good size to have. Will it replace the 70L pack you bring on big trips, the 100L pack you bring when the kids come, or the little pod you carry on long walks? No, but for day climbs or overnight smash and grab climbs it is perfect.

IMG_20170909_095811979.jpgWhere the heck are you supposed to route the drinking tube? No dedicated port.

Organization: Meh, There is a top pouch on the lid for wallet, keys and a snack. This is not the pack where each powerbar has its own pocket. It's just a big tube sock really. I prefer it like this. I HATE losing something because I don't remember which of the gazillion pockets I put it in.

Compression: Easily convert this pack to a streamlined, frameless, beltless summit pack. I don't usually do this but it is possible.

1.jpgGo climb something! Compression straps can also tie down your skis.

Features: Strap your skis on the outside, quickly access your coat, strap down your ice axes and helmet outside. This pack does a lot. Gear loops on the belt are handy when you wear your super light alpine climbing harness.  The single point closure and cinch-closed top pouch is fast and secure. Getting at that spare jacket was so much faster than using buckles like in a more conventional pack.

5.jpgMostly waterproof. Just a big sock though, no compartments. Smash it all down inside in the reverse-order of when you will need it.

6.jpgReason #453 for having shorter ice axes. A 55cm and a 50cm featured.

8.jpgBasic straps do a great job. If you need plushier padding you are carrying too much.

9.jpgA little large for an 11-year-old

2.jpgTop pouch holds a snack, keys, a cap, and bug net. Light gloves would have fit too. Besides the main compartment, this is it.

3.jpgAn interesting single hook closure that is fast and secure

4.jpgNot an adult holding, it but an 11-year-old girl.

Who needs this pack:

If your only other options are a GIANT multi-day kitchen sink hauler and a school kid sized pack this will bridge the gap and allow you to reduce weight and increase your capabilities. You probably need a 35 liter pack if you day hike long distances to climbs or can live frugally on overnight trips and this one is pretty good.

Thanks for the helpful review, Jeff!

Nice review, Sage.

andrew f.

I find myself using backpacks in the 25-42 liter size very often. large daypack, summit pack, stretch it for a quick overnight. great review. wonder if they make an updated model.

FlipNC

I'll have to check out an updated model as well...my oldest son ran off with my pack in this size category. Thanks for the review