Patagonia Baggies Shorts

Weight 4.9 oz / 138 g
Inseam 5 in (Medium)
Fabric 4.2 oz 100% Supplex® Nylon
Finish DWR

Patagonia's Baggies are my go-to, do it all shorts.

Summary

Patagonia's Baggies are my go-to, do it all shorts. They are lightweight, breathable, packable, abrasion-resistant, water-resistant, quick drying nylon shorts. The DWR treated Baggies sport a 5" inseam, two quick drain pockets with mesh in the bottom, and a stretchy elastic waistband with tie. I hike, kayak, wakeboard, play tennis, jog, work out and do just about everything in these shorts! If I had only one pair of shorts, these would be the ones. Patagonia has been making these for years and are made for babies on up to men's and women's.

Pros

• Durable (abrasion-resistant)
  • Lightweight (4.8 oz)
  • Quick draining pockets
  • DWR treated (water-resistant)
  • Nice length (5")
  • Available in a variety of colors and patterns
  • Come with a lifetime warranty
  • Flattering fit

Cons

• No zippered pocket
  • Pricey (but worth it)

My Patagonia Baggies have been through it all. I love these shorts! I would literally wear them every day if I could. I bought them primarily for hiking because I had heard so many great things about them. They are perfect for hiking because they have pockets (but they are not big baggy cargo pockets), they resist abrasion and water, they are breathable and comfortable, and they do not chafe. Nowadays, ladies' shorts tend to be rather short (3" inseam), but the 5" inseam in these is the perfect length for me.  They are great for any water sport.

Baggies-Front.jpg

Baggies-Back.jpg

Fit and Comfort:

I think Patagonia has nailed the perfect fit with their Baggies. I wear a medium and the length falls just past my finger tips. They have more than enough room to move and perform active sports, but they still maintain a flattering fit. The bottom leg openings are cut very wide and sometimes do flare out at the bottom. I have large quads/hamstrings and these accomodate them with extra room. The elastic waistband and drawcord make the fit adjustable. The waistband also stays in place when you have a pack on. The supple nylon is very soft and feels very nice.

627.jpg

You can see the flare in these two shots of me wearing my Baggies on Sentinel Dome in YNP.
626.jpg

Water Resistance:

Baggies are water-resistant, but not waterproof. They do very well in a drizzle, but in a hard rain they will soak. This is no problem though because they dry in a flash. I used them while hiking The Mist Trail in Yosemite. I was completely drenched by Vernal Fall, but the Baggies dried so quickly that it was no problem at all.

007.jpg

Baggies hot tubbing in Mammoth Lakes, CA

Breathability:

Baggies are very breathable. In fact, I wish that Patagonia made Baggies pants that I could hike in. The supple nylon fabric reminds me of softshell material. I think another key to their breathability is the width of the bottoms.

Abrasion Resistance:

Baggies are very abrasion-resistant. I hike through rough terrain constantly with these and have no problem with them tearing on branches. I have also slid down a rock waterslide with them and they didn't tear up at all. The nylon is actually pretty thick and is very durable. My dogs also jump on me all the time and they haven't even torn them.

197.jpg
Rocking my Baggies in Gorges State Park, NC

443.jpg

Baggies in the Ansel Adams Wilderness (Mammoth Lakes,CA)
454.jpg

Function:

I have really addressed all of the functions already, but I do wish that Patagonia would include a zippered security pocket somewhere. That is the only thing that I would change about them.

495.jpg

Baggies do not have any rear pockets.

Conclusion:

I have had these shorts for three years now and have worn them all over the place through a range of activities. They have held up exceptionally well and still look as good as they did when I bought them. If I am going anywhere spring, summer, or fall, you can bet that my baggies are going with me. If you don't have a pair, you are missing out!

**To all you guys out there, Baggies are also the perfect swim trunks.**

They are great water shorts, Ashleigh. I also like the kids versions for all-around-outdoor use, plus they sometimes come in cute prints.

1 year ago
Ashleigh MODERATOR

Alicia, I agree! They make cute patterns for adults and even more cute ones for kids.

1 year ago

These are the perfect pants for a day on the trails.

Summary

These are the perfect pants for a day on the trails.

Pros

• Dry fast
  • Good to wear on the trails

Cons

• Expensive, but worth it

I bought a pair of these to wear on one of my backpacking trips. They were a bit pricey, but so worth the price, because it was about the only shorts I wore. They are so comfortable and you don't have to worry about getting them wet because they dry pretty quick. I love these shorts!!

These are the ultimate shorts. They will go everywhere,…

These are the ultimate shorts. They will go everywhere, do anything with you. As long as it's warm, and you don't mind looking like you're wearing baggies, the baggies will do the trick. They are fantastically quick drying, and cool for those hot days.

I wear them kayaking when I am in and out of the water, and they are awesome.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Baggies Shorts versions

In addition to the 3 women's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Baggies Shorts. Read all reviews »

Visit Patagonia's Baggies Shorts page.

What haven't you done in the Baggies? Shorts? Made from tough, lightweight Supplex(R) nylon, they're treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish that sloughs off rivers, oceans, lakes and downpours. The back yoke provides a casual and flattering fit. With a brushed elastic waistband, internal drawcord and quick-draining, mesh-lined side pockets. Inseam is 5".

- Patagonia.com

Quick-dry nylon with a Deluge DWR finishShorts have elasticized waistband with internal drawstring; black mesh linerVertical on-seam side pockets for reduced drag in the water; pocket bags have quick drain-and-dry mesh corners; rear pocket with snap4.2-oz 100% nylon with a Deluge(R) DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Lining: 5.2-oz 100% polyester mesh136 g (4.8 oz)Made in Nicaragua Material: Deluge(R) DWR Patagonia's proprietary durable water repellent fabric finish, Deluge DWR, lasts substantially longer than standard DWRs. Garments with the Deluge DWR finish have like-new repellency after years of extensive use.

- River Sports Outfitters

In the late 19th century BB (before Baggies), women hiked and climbed in long skirts and a bonnet. The most daring ones went up in their bloomers. Today, Baggies are an outdoor girl's best friend. Made from tough, lightweight Supplex nylon, they're treated with a Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish that sloughs off rivers, oceans, lakes and downpours. The wide back yoke defines a casual and flattering fit. With quick-drain, mesh-lined pockets. Inseam (size M) is 5". Regular fit.

- Altrec Outlet

A loyal partner in grime,The Patagonia Baggies love slurping through mud on the Little Colorado and chimneying Thunder River's caverns as much as you do. Made from tough, lightweight Supplex- nylon, they're treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish that sloughs off rivers, oceans, lakes and downpours. The wide back yoke defines a casual and flattering fit. With quick-drain pockets. Inseam (size M) is 5''.Baggies Short Features:Made from nylon for durabilityBrushed elastic waistband with drawcordPocket bags have quick-drain-and-dry mesh corners5'' inseam; regular rise4.2-oz Supplex- nylon with DWR (durable water repellent) finish125 g (4.4 oz)Made in Costa Rica.

- Mountain Hideaway