Patagonia Capilene 2 Lightweight Zip-Neck

Weight 6.2 oz / 176 g
Fabric 4 oz 100% Polyester Circular Knit, 54% Recycled, Gladiodor®

Excellent baselayer shirt with the durability to withstand…

Price Paid: Around $50

Excellent baselayer shirt with the durability to withstand years of hard use.

• Great moisture management
  • Fast drying

• Sleeves bunch up

The Patagonia Capilene 2 lightweight Zip Neck makes the perfect baselayer for hiking, climbing, and all other outdoor pursuits. So far, I have used it on a three-week backpacking trip in Arizona, a two-week canoeing trip on the Rio Grande, a five-day hike in the High Sierras, and countless day hikes and overnighters all over the country.

One of my favorite things about this shirt is its ability to manage sweat effectively, and regulate body temperature throughout the day.

The shirt is very comfortable fitting, without any constriction in the chest or shoulders with movement. The material is very comfortable next to skin, and I often use this as a sleep shirt. It breathes during activity fairly well, and does an excellent job at wicking moisture away from your body. It does a good job of keeping me warm, especially when paired with another piece of insulation or a shell.

This shirt has a very basic feature set, which contributes to its low weight and high functionality. The front quarter zip is very useful for controlling temperature. I found that the small loops for the thumbs are handy to have while putting on a layer over this baselayer because it keeps the sleeves from riding up with the outer garment. However, the shirt sleeves still manage to bunch up sometimes because they are a bit long and the extra material likes to fold on itself.

I find this shirt most useful when paired with a fleece or puffy jacket and/or a shell jacket. The moisture wicking properties compliment the insulation or weather resistance to form a complete system. Remember, this shirt is part of a layering system. While it can function as a hiking shirt alone, I usually carry this shirt for use with other layers at camp or during cold days and another shirt to wear while hiking that takes most of the abuse and sweat from a day's activity. It is nice to have a dry baselayer to put on for the colder evenings and mornings, and to wear on really cold days in the mountains.

The craftsmanship of this product is on par with all other Patagonia products I have owned in the past. It has withstood a lot of abuse with little wear on the product, and I expect it will be good for many years to come. The pricing is also competitive with many other similar baselayers from other brands.

Overall, I think that this shirt has a place in the closet of every true outdoorsman and that Patagonia has really put out a good product here.

Thanks for sharing your Patagonia review, Matthew. It sounds like you've had some great opportunities to use it outdoors.

1 month ago

Nice review, Matthew! The Cap2 1/4 Zip is my favorite hiking shirt. It regulates temperature incredibly well. I've had my two for six years.

1 month ago

Thanks for the review, Matthew. Looks like a good shirt.

Chris Myers

What size is yours

Matthew Schilowitz

I have a medium Chris

A great baselayer. Great cut. Plenty long. Good fit.

A great baselayer. Great cut. Plenty long. Good fit. Can raise your arms over your head without having the sleeves rise to your elbow or pull the tail out.

A modern classic!

Lightweight, dries fast, provides warmth when you…

Lightweight, dries fast, provides warmth when you need it. Great for all outdoor activities, or just hanging out at home. A bit pricey, but lasts forever and is often on sale.

• Quality
  • Durability
  • Performance

Breathable and wicks well. Adds just enough extra warmth to regulate your temp on a chilly day. Fit is dead on: 6' 175 lbs. and large is sized perfectly. The arms are a bit long in a good way.

Well made and highly recommended.

This is a true classic. Warm, fitting, nice next-to-skin.

Source: received it as a personal gift

This is a true classic. Warm, fitting, nice next-to-skin.

• Non-stinky
  • Warm
  • Breathable
  • Soft

I think that every company does something especially well; this is Patagonia's strength. It's breathable, warm, strong, stretchy, comfortable and light.

This is definitely my go-to underneath a shell on a 3-season campout or winter high aerobic activities. The fit is pretty close, so I don't really like to wear it on the outside unless I'm sitting by a fire in my PJs (these) and I'm not super worried about wind.