Patagonia Dispatch Shorts

Really nice fabric, really well-made (as is typical…

Fabric: polyster/nylon
Fill: none

Really nice fabric, really well-made (as is typical for Patagonia products). However, I just can't love these shorts. They are too long. 12" inseam is just too much. 10" would be perfect.

The pockets kind of suck. There are two back pockets (which is great, because most Patagonia shorts do not have 2 back pockets for some strange reason), but neither of the back pockets are secured (zip or velcro or anything) so wallets and car keys are always at risk of going missing. Instead, there is a secured mini-pocket with a zip inside the front left pocket. So, at least they provide one secure option; but it's too small for a wallet though and is very uncomfortable with the key fob for my car keys. I find this pocket arrangement frustrating and pretty inadequate.

The fit is also a bit awkward for me. I'm not 100% sure if I can get the terminology right on this, but I think these shorts don't have enough 'rise.' They ride too low on my hips. They fit like surf trunks in that respect. I understand that surf trunks are supposed to ride low. But these are not surf trunks. These are shorts that I want to be able to hike in, climb in, travel with and wear around town. These are always creeping down in back and exposing the top of my underwear. That might be cool for teenagers who want to look like a rap star, but it's a deal-killer for me.

I guess I'm just not down with the fashion scene enough for these shorts.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Patagonia Men's Dispatch Short (Spring 2009) We are not able to ship Patagonia products outside the US because of that other thing.

Description of Patagonia Dispatch ShortsGo-to midweight travel shorts that wear like an old friend – ready for anything. Made from sturdy but breathable 5.3-oz 52% polyester and 48% nylon, reliable Dispatches are equally suited for pedaling to work and pounding the Appalachian Trail.Appropriate technology for the beach or crags, styled for blend-into-the-city travel, built in a quick-drying, free-moving blend of polyester and nylon.Features:Lightweight quick-dry polyester and nylon Zip fly with button closure Generous wide-entry front pockets Back pockets 12" inseam 5.3-oz 52% polyester/48% nylon 255 g (9 oz) Made in Vietnam

- US Outdoor Store

Go-to midweight travel shorts that wear like an old friend ? ready for anything. Made from sturdy but breathable 5.3-oz 52% polyester and 48% nylon, reliable Dispatches are equally suited for pedaling to work and pounding the Appalachian Trail.

- Ramsey Outdoor

Patagonia Dispatch Shorts

The Dispatch Shorts has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Dispatch Shorts is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 10, 2010 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new hiking short, check out the best reviewed current models.