Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants

Weight 13 oz / 368 g
Inseam Pants 32 in Shorts 11 in
Fabric 3.7 oz 100% Supplex Nylon Twill, 40-UPF Sun Protection

First pair of zip-offs I have tried and I was disappointed.

Price Paid: GBP 70.00

First pair of zip-offs I have tried and I was disappointed.

I wanted to get some Mountain Hardwear convertibles but I couldn't find any.

Zips at the thigh are either too low or my femurs are too long: under soaking wet waterproofs they catch on my knees.

Worse though is the fact that the bottom leg sections will not pull over a pair of size 10/44 boots. I found this out halfway up the hill and ended up dancing to a rock on one leg and then struggling to get my boot off underneath the trapping fabric. If I have to take my boots off to convert the legs, I may as well change into a real pair of shorts while I have my boots off.

I had seen others zipping off the leg sections of their pants and hadn't thought about the fact that the side zips are essential. I can get them over the boots (just) if I use the plastic bag trick*, but who wants to be doing that halfway up a mountain and then halfway down?

Good for the beach. If Patagonia make a more technical trouser with zips at the calf, then get those, or get the best: Mountain Hardware.

*carry a plastic shopping bag and place over your boots first, then slide the trouser legs over the top.

Visit Patagonia's Gi II Zip-Off Pants page.

Accommodating the hiker, paddler, or climber with unbounded versatility, Patagonia's Gi II Zip-Off pants are the perfect choice when you're faced with varied conditions and multiple activities. A plethora of deep pockets provide plenty of storage room, the zip-off leg design ensures that your attire can be instantly customized to the weather, and a gusseted crotch allows you to use your full range of motion for that unexpected afternoon of bouldering.

- Mountain Gear

Patagonia designed the Men's Gi II Zip-Off Pant to give you bulletproof construction and all-season versatility. The Supplex nylon twill can stand up to miles of abuse, while the zip-off legs give you the versatility that you need when you're miles from anything and the weather decides to play games. The 40-UPF sun protection rating lets you know that you won't get to camp looking like a lobster dinner. Storage is taken care of by two self-draining front pockets, a rear zip pocket, and a thigh pocket with zipper closure.

Ready-made for restless weather. These lightweight, adaptable pants easily convert from pants to shorts without removing footwear; color-coded zippers make reattaching the legs a breeze. Made from soft but tough Supplex(R) nylon twill that's quick to dry and compressible, and provides 40-UPF sun protection. They feature a gusseted crotch for extended leg movement, an elastic waist with a low-profile buckle and a button-through zip fly. Two self-draining front pockets, a rear zip pocket and a beer-bottle-sized thigh pocket with zipper closure provide ample storage space for trail supplies. Inseam (size M) is 32"; shorts 11". Recyclable through the Common Threads Recycling Program.

- Patagonia.com

The multi-talented Men's Gi II Zip-Off Pants by Patagonia engage the varied conditions of trekking, climbing and river-running with aplomb. Made of a soft but tough Supplex nylon twill that's lightweight, quick to dry, compressible and provides 40-UPF sun protection. They easily convert from pants to shorts easily without requiring the removal of footwear, and the zippers are colored-coded to make reattaching the legs a breeze. Gi IIs also feature a gusseted crotch for extended leg movement, and the elastic waist has a separating low-profile buckle and button-through zip fly. Two self-draining front pockets, a rear zip pocket and a beer-bottle-sized thigh pocket with zipper closure provide ample storage space for trail supplies. Pants inseam (size M) is 32"; zipped-off shorts inseam, 11". Recyclable through the Common Threads Recycling Program.

- RockCreek

Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants

The Gi II Zip-Off Pants has been discontinued. It last appeared in Patagonia's 2010 product line.

The Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new hiking pant, check out the best reviewed current models.