Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants

Weight 13 oz / 368 g
Inseam Pants 32 in Shorts 11 in
Fabric 3.7 oz 100% Supplex Nylon Twill, 40-UPF Sun Protection

First pair of zip-offs I have tried and I was disappointed.

Price Paid: GBP 70.00

First pair of zip-offs I have tried and I was disappointed.

I wanted to get some Mountain Hardwear convertibles but I couldn't find any.

Zips at the thigh are either too low or my femurs are too long: under soaking wet waterproofs they catch on my knees.

Worse though is the fact that the bottom leg sections will not pull over a pair of size 10/44 boots. I found this out halfway up the hill and ended up dancing to a rock on one leg and then struggling to get my boot off underneath the trapping fabric. If I have to take my boots off to convert the legs, I may as well change into a real pair of shorts while I have my boots off.

I had seen others zipping off the leg sections of their pants and hadn't thought about the fact that the side zips are essential. I can get them over the boots (just) if I use the plastic bag trick*, but who wants to be doing that halfway up a mountain and then halfway down?

Good for the beach. If Patagonia make a more technical trouser with zips at the calf, then get those, or get the best: Mountain Hardware.

*carry a plastic shopping bag and place over your boots first, then slide the trouser legs over the top.

Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants

The Gi II Zip-Off Pants has been discontinued. It last appeared in Patagonia's 2010 product line.

The Patagonia Gi II Zip-Off Pants is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

Therm-a-Rest Slacker Hammock House Review

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 Review

Merrell Men's All Out Blaze Sieve Review

Mt Monadnock NH, Sunday 24 April 2017

BRS 3000W Canister Stove Review

Vikings invade Costa Rica!