Patagonia Nano Puff Bivy Pullover - Men's

This is the perfect cross-country skiing/snowshoeing…

Summary

This is the perfect cross-country skiing/snowshoeing mid layer.

Pros

• Light
  • Pockets
  • Hood
  • Deep chest zip

I had been using the Patagonia regular pullover for quite a few years for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing and have specifically stated to myself and others how I wish they had this with pockets.

So, I'm down in Dillon, MT, for work and stop in the Patagonia outlet store there and stumble upon one of these in gray at like 99 bucks and practically lose it. It never even occurred to me to want a hood. I have never seen a price like that since. Oh, and sorry, I understand that is the only Patagonia outlet in the world. We are fortunate in many ways to live in Montana. I did buy another copper one at like $140 last year online.

I have always loved the Nano Puff Pullover as the perfect mid layer above a polyprop long sleeve undershirt, Polartec pullover and then the Nano Puff and final light water resistant anorak with hood. I'm sort of old school and have always used an "anorak" based approach with pullovers and quarter half zip tops going back forty years. I like the look and not having to get full zippers to work with gloves mittens blah blah blah. The half or quarter zip gets rid of the heat just fine.

The bivy is perfect for backcountry work, addressing all the shortcomings of the regular Nano Puff Pullover with pockets and the hood. The hoodie is great being light and easy to move off and on based upon temps and workout. It functions as a perfect head temp modulator with a light hat, AND the pockets are wonderful for an extra set of gloves or batteries or smartphone, etc and the kangaroo pouch pocket is wonderful for when you stop to undo the mittens and take the outer anorak off and start opening the hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps fortification a few miles from civilization under some trees. AND if you are out at higher temps and want to take a layer off? This is the one as it weighs practically nothing and will wad up and can be stuffed most anywhere.

OK, What's not to like...well except maybe the full price. But, if you are a true cold weather back country skier or snowshoer, this is something you want in your arsenal of cold weather clothing. Be patient and shop around online including the Patagonia clearance site and you can find them 70 bucks or so off if you are NOT too color picky.

And if you just want to look good in the bar get the regular Nano Puff Pullover. Although they are a wonderful hiking outer layer.

Thanks for the review of your Nano Puff Bivy Pullover, Karl. Do you have any pictures of it you could show others in your review? I hope you'll consider reviewing your original Nano Puff sometime too. Thanks!

Nick Mesarhakis

Seems really good judging by the Primaloft Gold Eco insulation for 99$. I bought a Howies with Silver Eco insulation for 6-8$ less. Wish I've seen this sooner..