Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover

Weight 10.2 oz / 289 g
Shell Fabric 1 oz 15-Denier 100% Recycled Polyester, Deluge® DWR Finish
Lining Fabric 1.4 oz 22-Denier 100% Recycled Polyester, Deluge® DWR Finish
Insulation 60 g PrimaLoft® One 100% Polyester

The Nano Puff Pullover is a lightweight, windproof,…

Summary

The Nano Puff Pullover is a lightweight, windproof, water-resistant three-season jacket. It is made with 60 grams of highly compressible Primaloft ONE synthetic insulation. The shell is 15 denier polyester and the lining is 22 denier polyester.

Pros

• Wind resistant
  • Packs down small
  • Dries quickly

Cons

• Does not have hand pockets

Nano.jpg

The Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover is a staple of my backcountry gear. I wear it during most of my backpacking trips. I bought this one in 2009, after seeing the first one that was made in the Patagonia catalog. I had to have it. I am so glad that I did get it, because it sure has kept me warm the last few years.

This pullover is very minimalist. It does not have hand warmer pockets, adjustable cuffs or hem, or a hood, and the zipper is 1/2 length. I do really like the length of the zipper though. It is very nice for venting. However, while it may be lacking in features, it only weighs 10.2 oz. It is very warm for that weight. Yes, there are a lot of down jackets that weigh a few ounces less, but the fact that this one is pretty weather resistant is a huge difference. I'll take that anyday for a few extra ounces.

* The Nano Puff Pullover was so popular that Patagonia has made several variations of the original pullover: Nano Puff Jacket, Nano Puff Hoody, Nano Puff Vest, Nano Puff Hybrid, and Nano Storm.

Nano-2.jpg

Fit:

The fit is true to size. I wear a medium in the Nano Puff as I do in most other jackets. As you can see in the photo, I still have plenty of room. The length is perfect for me. No tightess or gapping here. Pretty much just a perfect fit.

Adjustability:

The Nano Puff Pullover is not adjustable, but it does have elastic cuffs and an elastic hem that stretch sufficiently. I see no real need for adjustable cords here.

Water Resistance:

The Nano Puff definitely sheds light snow and rain because it is treated with DWR. It will get wet in a full shower, but it does still keep you warm and it does dry very quickly.

Moisture:

No wicking properties here. If your body thermostat runs hot like mine, you will not be wearing this during any serious activity. It traps heat very well, but does not vent any, except through the deep zipper. You definitely would want to wear a wicking shirt under this. This being said, it is not very breathable.

Warmth:

The Nano Puff is a very warm if you produce a lot of body heat. As I mentioned earlier, it can get down right hot if you are active. If you don't produce a lot of body heat and you are sitting around, it is not very warm.  I do wish that it had hand warmer pockets. This would increase the warmth. Wearing it underneath a shell also increases warmth. It is also very wind resistant. This is another contributing factor to the warmth of this pullover.

Abrasion:

The Nano Puff is pretty resistant to abrasion. I have worn it in the backcountry and have used it day to day since 2009 and it is still in perfect condition. However, I know 100% for a fact that if it ever did tear that Patagonia would repair it or send me a brand new one, no questions asked. That alone is worth the price tag.

Features:

This is a minimalist pullover, but it does have one feature that I haven't mentioned yet. It stuffs into its own chest pocket. This actually can double as an excellent pillow! The pocket zipper also has a caribiner loop so that you can attatch it just about anywhere.

Another note-worthy feature is that it comes in a variety of very bright colors. If you were to ever get lost in the backcountry, having on bright color would certainly be helpful if a search party was looking for you. It does come in some normal, neutral colors as well.

Nano-Stuffed.jpg

Overall:

I rated this a 4.5 stars because it is a very functional and warm jacket. I have put it to the test and it has passed with flying colors. I definitely recommend it if you don't have one already. You should always have a jacket that is dependable in the backcountry with you because the weather is so unpredictable.

TheRambler

I really like my Nano puff as well. I got mine for free with my airline miles! Thanks Delta! I just wish my sister had not burned a few small holes in it. Good review.

Devil Dog

Thank you! Wow, that is great that you got yours for free!

Very happy with this lightweight, relatively inexpensive…

Very happy with this lightweight, relatively inexpensive warmth layer. It packs down small and tight, is a very pleasant pillow, and functions great as a jacket.

I used it on a recent weekend hlking trip when I did not expect to need it. When I walked into an unexpected squall near freezing temperatures, I was glad to have it along. I was toasty in this and an LL Bean ski shell as the 50 mph wind blew and hail pelted my back for an hour.

The Nano Puff was also relatively wind resistant - I liked it when worn over a t-shirt in 40 degree weather and 5-10 mph winds. I am 6'2" and 240, and was pleasantly surprised that the XL gave me adequate room and length.

I have read some reviews on REI where the owners moved to using this as a primary warmth layer. I think I will keep it for spring and fall occasions when I don't want a bulky warmth layer.

I had the opportunity to get this item for free through…

Price Paid: Bought through a rewards program with my employer

I had the opportunity to get this item for free through a compensation program with my job. I had been in the market for a down sweater but figured I would give this a try first since it would not cost me anything.

I have had the chance to take this out for two 2 day trips, and quite a few evening walks with the dog. I am comfortable in the pullover with just a t-shirt while active(walking) down to about 25-30F. I find that this is a perfect item for layering under my hardshell while on the trail, and a handy item to throw on at rest stops to stay warm. I love that it is synthetic and not down and thus no need to be overly protective/worry about moisture.

I was quite comfy around camp with just a cap 3 baselayer , wool beanie, gloves, and the pullover with temps of around 25-30FF on my first trip. On my 2nd trip the temps were a little bit lower, but I was comfy down to 16F with only adding a 100wt fleece vest. I could easily layer under my hardshell when in camp, but prefer not to wear my hardshell in camp unless it's really needed.

One great benefit of this pullover is it is windproof, it makes all the difference in warmth on a cold breezy evening. This pullover will have a spot in my pack year round now. It is very packable, lightweight and very warm for its weight. This would be the perfect 3 season puffy, and a great layer for the colder months.

I don't think it would be worth the list price of 149, but free like mine, or a good sale and this item is definitely worth it. I highly recommend it.

giftogab

I used this on my Everest Trek and LVOE it!

This jacket has a great spectrum. I have pushed it…

This jacket has a great spectrum. I have pushed it to its limits and it performed.

It repels light rain or mist. It's kept me warm on cooler mountain days with my wool baselayer or out on the ocean or out on the town.

Stuffs small into its pocket. Better then a fleece and lighter. Good buy.

Weight-to-warmth ratio is GREAT! Stuffs into its own…

Weight-to-warmth ratio is GREAT! Stuffs into its own pocket as fast as I have experienced with ease.

The only reason I give 4 1/2 vs 5 stars is that the XL seems tight when trying to put it on, but once it is on it fits as it should.

This coat is amazingly light. It is a perfect mid…

Fabric: Recycled polyester shell
Fill: PrimaLoft 1

This coat is amazingly light. It is a perfect mid layer for the winter and a great outer layer for the late spring and fall. It is not amazingly warm, but it is meant for high-intensity activity when you need a little extra to keep you warm. Everything is synthetic so you can get it wet and not worry about clumping and it will dry quickly.

I use it on MT Bike Rides in on the cold days and it is perfect. The fact that it packs into its own zip pocket is a great feature.

My only complaint is that the bottom of the coat is nonadjustable elastic so it ends up riding up on you a little and bunching up.

I highly recommend this product.

Very good, packing into its own pocket is a big plus…

Fabric: micro ripstop nylon
Fill: Primaloft One

Very good, packing into its own pocket is a big plus and sporting the Patagonia and styling and name is an ego boost. I've owned this now for four months and live in Upstate New York. Below 30 degrees with a merino long sleeve base layer, it was not warm enough for me to be comfortable, above that it's perfect.

I used this one warm day snow tubing. Since it was too hot, I clipped it on my belt. When the sun went down and it started getting cooler, I unclipped and put it back on...Still not as warm, light, and ventilation capable as my Mont-bell Thermawrap which is a true winner even down to about 20 degrees or more with a merino L/S base layer underneath-I swear the thing is alien technology!

All that exposed, fancy patchwork-look stitching will…

Price Paid: n/a

Summary

All that exposed, fancy patchwork-look stitching will eventually cause problems. About the tenth time I used it, stuffing it into the pocket, some of the stitching must have caught on the zip, as it pulled and wouldn't loosen. I had to cut the stitches to undo the tangled mess.

Either take it easy when stuffing or buy a similar top where the insulation is stitched inside, with a smooth face fabric etc.

@ giftogab:

What a strange comment. Try an internet search for "Patagonia Nano Puff...stitching coming undone..." There are similar reports on backpackinglight and especially the page on the women's NP hoody at backcountry.

giftogab

Perhaps that is operator error and shouldn't be attributed to the garment. Is that all there was to say about this?