Patagonia R1 Pullover

men's
Fabric 6.8 oz Polartec® Power Dry® 93% Polyester, 41% Recycled / 7% Spandex
Weight 11.9 oz / 337 g

The Patagonia R1 is the ultimate mountain shirt. It…

Summary

The Patagonia R1 is the ultimate mountain shirt. It is great as an insulating piece in cold weather and a great stand-alone fleece in cool weather. It can be used for almost any cold weather activity. I personally used it mostly for backpacking and hiking, but I have also seen many climbers wearing R1 Pullovers and hoodies.

Pros

• Warm
  • Breathable
  • Deep zipper for additional venting
  • Comes in beautiful colors
  • Wicks moisture and drys quickly
  • Flattering fit

Cons

• Price
  • Snug fit in chest
  • No pockets

4.jpg

The Patagonia R1 is a staple in my backcountry gear. It goes on every trip with me. I love it so much that I bought two! I wear it as a stand-alone fleece from 45-59 degrees. I could wear it while hiking/running at 20-40 degrees. I wear it as a baselayer (under a puffy) when the temperature drops into the 30's.

It is a very minimalist piece that has no pockets, hood or adjustablilty, but it only weighs 9.7 oz. If you are interested in a hood, try the R1 Hoody. If you are interested in pockets and would like a little more room, try the R1 Full Zip Jacket.

355.jpg
My husband and I both sporting our R1 Pullovers

Fit & Comfort:

The fit of the R1 Pullover is "slim fit." I think that it is a flattering cut. It is snug, but it also has room to layer a shirt underneath. I wear a size Medium in this shirt, as I do with most other Patagonia products. I feel that there could be more room in the chest, but it may fit you just fine. I found the sleeve length and the overall length to be appropriate for my 5'4" frame.

The R1 Pullover is very comfortable! I wear it every opportunity that I have. It is very soft. It is made of a stretchy 93% polyester (41% recycled) / 7% spandex blend, so when you move, the R1 moves right along with you. It is not restrictive at all. The inside of the R1 is made of Polartec Powerdry high/low grid fleece that trap heat. The micro-grid squares also promote air flow and quick drying times.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

The seams are strategically placed for wearing a pack comfortably.

Breathability:

The R1 is very breathable because of the fabric and because of the deep venting zipper. It does get hot (due to the heat trapping micro-grids) if you are engaging in heavy activity, such as running or hiking. It has to be cold for me to wear it when active.

518.jpg

Moisture:

The R1 wicks moisture very well. It also dries very quickly.

Warmth:

The R1 is incredibly warm for its weight. I cannot tell you how clutch this has been for me. Being warm is crucial to my enjoyment of the outdoors, so I always bring my R1 with me. I left it at home once and was too cold. I swore I'd never do it again. I feel it is warmest under a shell because it does not block wind very much and the nylon would also continue to trap heat, instead of letting it escape.

Layering:

The R1 is a great layering piece. You can layer over or under it. Layers really do well gliding over it because the outside fabric is smooth. It is relatively thin, so it doesn't add extra bulk when layering it under another layer. When I layer under it, I usually wear a breathable t-shirt or long sleeved shirt. You wouldn't want to wear too much under it because it will get too hot.

592.jpg
My favorite way to wear the R1 Pullover is with my Patagonia Down Sweater Vest over top of it.

Durability:

I have worn my two R1's year 'round for the past four years and I have never had any issues with them whatsoever. They have stood up very well in the wash. I bought two of them for color coordinating outfits, not due to any durability issues. They are both in fantastic shape.

366.jpg

Conclusion:

I highly recommend this shirt. It is so versatile! It is honestly one piece of gear that I can not go without. I rated it 4.5 stars only because it does not have any pockets at all. I would love for this to have a chest pocket, like the men's one does. Other than that, I would say that it is perfect.

these serve as a great light/mid insulating layer…

Summary

these serve as a great light/mid insulating layer or a heavy base layer. very versatile, very comfortable, and extremely durable. if i were on a limited budget for a layering system, this would be one of the first pieces on my list because it is performs so well in so many different situations.

Pros

• good for a wide range of temperatures
  • love the zip neck
  • good luck trying to wear it out

Cons

• can get smelly
  • expensive unless you find it on sale

i wear this shirt a lot.  alone, it takes the chill out of a fall or spring hike, and i'll wear it on cooler summer nights. i use it over a thin base layer on cooler days.  it's an ideal mid-layer for winter hiking alone or under a shell, and it's one of the first layers i'll think about when the bottom drops out of the thermometer.

the shirt has a little more room than a true base layer, so i have no problem with a wicking short or long sleeved t-shirt or thin insulating layer underneath.  the grid fabric is soft, stretchy, and comfortable to wear.  the sleeves are on the long side.  i particularly like the zip neck - fully open, it really helps ventilate the shirt.  zipped all the way up, it is warm but not constricting (i wear a 17 neck).  there is a small flap of fleece between the top of the zipper and your skin, which is great.

the inside of the r1 fabric is fuzzy little squares in a grid pattern, the outside surface is smooth. the grids trap a good amount of air to keep you warm, and the fabric does a really good job drawing moisture out to the surface.  this is not by any means windproof.  while it is reasonably warm in still air, a solid breeze goes right through it.  like many fleece products, it will insulate very well even if it gets wet.  shake or wring out the moisture, and it 'wears dry' better than most shirts.

the fleece itself stands up to abuse very well.  apart from random branches and hot coals, these last a really long time.  stitching, cuffs, hem - outstanding construction.  i have two of these shirts.  the first one is about ten years old, the second 3 or 4 years old.  both are fully functional today, though very different.

Patagonia does change things over time.  the older shirt has a significantly thinner microgrid fabric, not nearly as warm as newer versions and much stretchier fabric.  the new ones have a small zippered chest pocket - good for small things, positioned so it doesn't interfere with pack straps.  the seams on the newer one are better-placed to avoid shoulder strap friction.

the main downside to this shirt, and most synthetic base or mid layers, is that they eventually start smelling bad after a while. if you use it a lot, the anti-odor treatments just stop working.  wool definitely wins on that front, but wool shirts generally aren't as warm, wet out more, take longer to dry, and aren't as durable as this fabric.

Visit Patagonia's Men's R1 Pullover page.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Patagonia Men's R1 Pullover FEATURES of the Patagonia Men's R1 Pullover Our classic R1 fleece - with it's high/low grid pattern for enhanced wicking, airflow and fast dry times - provides excellent stretch, warmth, and durability in a variety of temperatures A lighter weight, micro-grid fabric on inner collar, underarm gusset, and Variable Conditions Cuff, improves breathability and dry times where you need it most A re-engineered pattern offers a refined technical fit offset seams provide comfort under outerwear and packs Center-front Slim-Zip with soft, kissing-welt zipper garage and chin flap for next-to-skin comfort Variable Conditions Cuff has discreet, on-seam thumb loops for added coverage, and a spiral stitch construction allows sleeves to push up easily without constricting forearms One left chest pocket has Slim Zip install and clean finished zipper garage SPECIFICATIONS of the Patagonia Men's R1 Pullover Slim fit Weight: 11.8 oz / 333 g Body: 6.8-oz Polartec Power Dry 93% polyester (41% recycled)/7% spandex. Inner collar Underarms and Cuffs: 5.4-oz Polartec Power Dry 92% polyester (54% recycled)/8% spandex This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

From sunrise to sundown, from epic approaches to alpine traverses, the versatile R1(R) Pullover stretches, breathes, moves moisture and insulates. The finely tuned high/low interior grid polyester fabric (Polartec(R) Power Dry(R)) squashes down to practically nothing, has a terrific feel and remains durable and warm. The improved, technical fit accommodates light underlayers or works as a stand-alone top. Our new Variable Conditions Cuffs have discreet on-seam thumb loops and a spiral stitch construction that lets you push up the sleeves without constricting your forearms. New minimalist zippers reduce bulk, while lightweight micro-grid stretch polyester at the cuffs and armpits enhance breathability and dry times. A soft, kissing-welt zipper garage at the chin gives next-to-skin comfort. With a smooth, microfiber face for easy layering, offset shoulder seams for pack-wearing comfort and a zippered chest pocket. Details Our classic R1(R) fleece - with it's high/low grid pattern for enhanced wicking, airflow and fast dry times - provides excellent stretch, warmth, and durability in a variety of temperatures A lighter weight, micro-grid fabric on inner collar, underarm gusset, and Variable Conditions Cuff, improves breathability and dry times where you need it most A re-engineered pattern offers a refined technical fit; offset seams provide comfort under outerwear and packs Center-front Slim-Zip with soft, kissing-welt zipper garage and chin flap for next-to-skin comfort Variable Conditions Cuff has discreet, on-seam thumb loops for added coverage, and aspiral stitch construction allows sleeves to push up easily without constrictingforearms One left chest pocket has Slim Zip install and clean finished zipper garage 6.8-oz Polartec(R) Power Dry(R) 93% polyester (41% recycled)/7% spandex 333 g (11.75 oz) Made in Colombia. Material Recycled Polyester - We recycle used soda bottles, unusable second quality fabrics and worn out garments into polyester fibers to produce many of our clothes.Technology Regulator(R) Insulation - Provides phenomenal compressibility, light weight warmth and moisture transport, whether used alone or as part of a layering system.

- Mountains Plus refers to the men's version

Streamlined, light and versatile, the R1 Hoody embodies our primary design principle: Perfection is achieved when there?s nothing left to take away. Alpinists and backcountry skiers live in this finely tuned, versatile favorite that?s made of Polartec Power Dry polyester with a high/low grid interior. The fabric breathes, stretches and compresses to practically nothing, has a terrific feel and remains durable and warm. Its design ? even more refined this season ? features the pared-down detailing that avid climbers and backcountry skiers need, like a a snug-fitting balaclava-style hood (now more sculpted at the neck for better fit under a helmet-strap), deep-venting front zipper that?s offset at the chin (now with a softer zipper garage for next-to-skin comfort), and a new Variable Conditions Cuff design with discreet on-seam thumb loops and a spiral stitch construction that lets you push up the sleeves without constricting your forearms. We also refined the fit, lengthened the torso for layering under a harness, and installed slim, minimalist zippers. With off-shoulder seams for pack-wearing comfort, an exterior chest pocket and lightweight micro-grid stretch polyester at the cuffs, hem and now the armpits for minimal bulk and increased breathability and dry times.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

Patagonia's R1 Pullover is the optimal midlayer or baselayer for alpine endeavors in demanding conditions, the R1 Pullover is made with Regulator grid fleece for outstanding stretch, breathability, compressibility and durability.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version