Patagonia Stretch Latitude Jacket

This is as much a review of Patagonia and their incredible…

Fabric: Nylon H2No
Fill: none

This is as much a review of Patagonia and their incredible customer service as it is the Stretch Latitude.

After about 9 years of hard use, the interior laminate in my Patagonia Storm simply turned to flakes and dust after a wash. This jacket had protected me from the Appalachian Trail to the interior of the Amazon region. It had been used in just about every weather condition imaginable, worn probably 150 days each year for 9 years and stuffed in a backpack for many many more.

On a whim, I called Patagonia and told them that my jacket had finally failed and asked if there was anything to do to repair it. As I now live in England, the support employee asked to contact the Patagonia people in France, which I did. Patagonia's Stephanie in customer support told me to mail them the jacket for inspection.

Once Stephanie received the jacket, she informed that it was "very old" and she could not explain the de-lamination problem. She then said that I should look at the current offerings on the website and she would send me what I want to replace my Storm. What? I said. Her English was only fair so I thought she must have misspoken. Sure enough, she then recommended that I look at the site or take her recommendation of the Stretch Latitude as a replacement. I did choose the Latitude and she proceeded to send me one free of charge, post paid. I received it three days later. Needless to say, if Patagonia provides a suitable product for any aspect of my adventure or civilian life, I will happily pay the price.

OK. The jacket. When I first took it out of the box, I was struck by how stiff it felt. Because I ordered one in black and the seams are welded instead of stitched, it reminded me of a drysuit. Upon further inspection, the precision of the construction was apparent as was the apparent durability. Of course, the hood is large enough for a helmet, the pockets are well placed, the zippers are super tight and the drawcords are in the right spots. The armpit zips are really long and I could see how the wearer would benefit during anything strenuous.

Although I've only had it for a few weeks now, it has kept me bone dry in serious rain. I have also scraped it across a fair bit of granite while scrambling and it shows no signs of wear. Overall I would bet that I will be very happy with this jacket.

If I can find any fault at all it would be how stiff it feels and the associated noise it makes. I suspect that it will improve over the very near future. It is already a bit softer than when I first took it out of the packaging. I give it 4.5 due to the stiffness with an extra .5 point for the excellent customer support and the price tag of a 9-year-old Storm jacket, post to France and a phone call.

Spring flings for the alpinist: predawn turns, shaded verglas corners and high alpine storms. The Stretch Latitude's unwavering waterproof/breathable performance pairs with stretch reinforcements to keep you going in all conditions, while its soft interior glides over layers and wicks moisture. A helmet-compatible, 3-way-adjustable hood protects without hindering your vision, and the front water-resistant zipper has a brushed, offset chin to offset chafing. Other details include low-profile pit zips, an internal storage pocket, a zippered chest pocket and zippered handwarmer pockets that stay clear of a harness. Regular fit.

- Patagonia.com

Description of Patagonia Stretch Latitude JacketDurable, 3-layer waterproof/breathable, hard shell with stretch reinforcements for all facets of mountaineering and alpine climbing.Though climbing in Chamonix and the Cascades might seem like disparate experiences, the threat of getting storm-blasted on a tough route is the same for both. The Stretch Latitude’s unwavering waterproof/breathable performance pairs with stretch reinforcements for energetic moves in any condition, and its soft interior glides over layers and wicks moisture during high-output climbing. The offset design of the front waterproof zipper keeps chafing seams away from vulnerable skin. Details: low-profile pit zips that vent excess heat; zippered hand pockets that are accessible under a pack; two internal storage pockets; and an adjustable helmet-compatible hood. The regular fit accommodates thick underlayers. Features:3-layer, all-mountain shell is durable and storm proof, lightweight and compres

- US Outdoor Store

The Patagonia Men's Stretch Latitude Jacket's waterproof breathable H2No nylon shell includes stretch panels to increase freedom of movement while you climb or ski. In addition to complete weather protection, the Stretch Latitude Jacket includes pitzips to help you stay cool when you break trail or take on a tough pitch. Patagonia included a helmet-compatible hood and harness-friendly hem to make the Stretch Latitude a great jacket for winter climbers.

- Backcountry Outlet

Though climbing in Chamonix and the Cascades might seem like disparate experiences, the threat of getting storm-blasted on a tough route is the same for both. The Stretch Latitude s unwavering waterproofbreathable performance pairs with stretch reinforcements for energetic moves in any condition, and its soft interior glides over layers and wicks moisture during high-output climbing. The offset design of the front waterproof zipper keeps chafing seams away from vulnerable skin. Details: low-profile pit zips that vent excess heat; zippered hand pockets that are accessible under a pack; two internal storage pockets; and an adjustable helmet-compatible hood. The regular fit accommodates thick underlayers.

- Massey's Outfitters

Free Shipping. Patagonia Men's Stretch Latitude Jacket (Fall 2007) The men's Stretch Latitude Jacket by Patagonia has a durable, 3-layer waterproof/breathable hard shell with stretch reinforcements for all facets of mountaineering and alpine climbing. Features: 3-layer, all-mountain shell is durable and storm proof, lightweight and compressible 3-layer stretch fabric reinforcements over shoulders, down sleeves and through hips for increased durability and maximum mobility Soft, moisture-wicking interior glides easily over layers Helmet compatible, 3-way adjustable hood Coated, waterproof zipper with improved directional pull provides superb wet-weather protection; offset design keeps neck free from chafing seams Brushed tricot fabric protects chin for next-to-skin comfort Low profile, waterproof pit zips increase airflow Zippered handwarmer pockets are accessible while wearing harness or a pack Zip, mesh-lined chest pocket (on left side) Left internal mesh drop-in pocket Elastic and self-fabric hook-and-loop combination secure the cuffs Harness-compatible bottom hem secures with a drawcord Regular fit that accommodates layers Weight: 553 g. (19.5 oz.) Fabric: 3-layer 4.7-oz. 70 x 90 denier double ripstop nylon with waterproof/breathable H2No barrier and Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Reinforcements: 3-layer 5.1-oz. 70 x 80 denier stretch-woven nylon with waterproof/breathable H2No barrier and Deluge DWR finish We are not able to ship Patagonia products outside the US because of that other thing.

Patagonia Men's Stretch Latitude Jacket

The Men's Stretch Latitude Jacket has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Men's Stretch Latitude Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 8, 2008 at Patagonia.com.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.