Patagonia Strider PRO Shorts

The first running shorts I've owned in a long, long…

Price Paid: 35 Euros

Summary

The first running shorts I've owned in a long, long time that don't stink after 10 minutes of use. They're cool, comfortable, and the pockets on the sides and back are great.

Pros

• Side pockets for gels, mp3 player, etc.
  • Rear pocket for keys, money and more
  • Cool
  • Comfortable liner

Cons

• About 1" too short

First, the fit.... when I ordered these shorts from Patagonia Germany, I took a shot in the dark and ordered Large as that's what I normally wear but it's always hard to tell in American sizing. In any case, they fit great! I'm primarily an endurance mountain biker, therefore I have big legs and a rather muscular butt.

Often, athletic shorts don't fit all that well because they tend to be cut for the "skinny guy with no butt". In this case, even though they seem to fit me best when I wear them a little lower than my other shorts, they fit really well and feel really good. There's a drawstring inside which I haven't, thus far, needed to use as they ride quite securely with the elastic waistband.

The fabric is a combination of mesh and a more solid fabric. On the sides and on the top portion of the rear there's a nice mesh that seems to help vent the shorts. The side pockets are an elastic mesh that expands to fit a fairly large number of gels, bars, etc.

From all indications, the shorts will last me a really long time. They're Patagonia and all my previous experiences with the company have been positive and I can't imagine that the Strider Pro Shorts will be any different.

One thing I have noticed, which seems to be 'normal' for me is that once they're sweat soaked, the inside of the legs rides up a bit. I believe that has more to do with the size of my legs and my running style than the shorts though.

After 3 or 4 runs (roughly 75 km), I can already see that these are going to become my favorite running shorts. They are more comfortable and definitely cooler than any others that I have. The only thing I'd change is to make them about 1" longer.