Trustworthy do-it-all winter pant. These have been…

Summary

Trustworthy do-it-all winter pant.

Pros

• Adaptable

Cons

• No longer made

These have been my go-to winter pants for the better part of a decade. Ice climbing, backcountry skiing, lift-served skiing, snowshoeing, shoveling the driveway, making snow, the Super Guides have done it all with aplomb. And they blend in well enough around town, too.

Five zippered pockets -- two hand, two thigh, one rear -- allow for plenty of easily-acessible storage for both everyday essentials (keys, wallet, phone) and winter activity specifics -- maps, scrapers, ski straps, snacks, etc.

The cuff setup is great. The internal gaiter works with everything from leather hiking boots to burly AT ski boots, and the gusseted ankle zip/snap adjusts to keep everything trim.

The waist is high enough to provide decent coverage without becoming a semi-bib. Belt loops and suspenders provide plenty of options for keeping everything in place.

The soft shell fabric Patagonia use on these has performed well, keeping me dry in all but the most miserable downpours. The Super Guides have no vents, but breathe well enough for all but the warmest and sunniest spring ski tours.

After nearly ten years my Super Guides finally started to show their age. There are a couple pulls and cuts in the fabric, but the biggest problem is that most of the zippers have started to fail. Because the Super Guide was constructed mostly with welded seams, zipper replacement does not seem to be an option.

Unfortunately, nobody today seems to make a soft shell pant with the same combination of features as the Super Guide. You can find pants with the 5-pocket setup, but they all lack either the internal gaiter or the gusseted hem. And most of those with a similar setup at the ankle seem to be lacking in pockets. (Why no rear pockets? Looking at you, Arc'teryx and Rab.) The closest modern-day replacement I've found seems to be the Outdoor Research Trailbreaker.

The Super Guides have been trustworthy and nearly constant companions for many winters. My only disappointment is that Patagonia doesn't make a modern version with the same feature set.

Welcome to Trailspace, Dave! Just kidding. Nice review! Got any pictures to help immortalize these amazing pants?

Dave MacLeay TRAILSPACE STAFF

Not as many as you might think!

300winmag

My new winter pants are Duluth Trading Dry on the Fly nylon cargo pants with full 200 weight fleece lining. $89.50.

andrew f.

i use their alpine guide pants, reviewed them here about four years ago. still a very versatile pair of pants for cold weather. looks like they are no longer available. i feel like their soft shells haven't changed much over the years; they monkey with the features every so often. mine have 3 front pockets, no internal gaiter.

Jake W

Dave- I bought the OR trailbreaker last year, planning on doing a review with a little more testing this winter. Long story short, I love the, so far.

1 year ago

10 reviews in 15 years. Just saying. ;)

Dave MacLeay TRAILSPACE STAFF

I know, I know. I plead: 1) You all are way better reviewers; 2) Lots of behind-the-scenes projects; 3) I'm slow -- by the time I feel qualified to pass judgement, the darn thing's obsolete (see above).

1 year ago

Patagonia this year has produced some awesome pieces…

Fabric: nylon/spandex
Fill: na

Patagonia this year has produced some awesome pieces of outdoor wear. I've got lots of silk-weight and lightweight capilene layers, the Six Chuter Jacket and these pants, and I am so totally stoked! Everything has performed beyond anything printed in a Patagonia catalog! I used to be a huge HUGE arc'teryx fan, but I always thought they were asking primo dollar for the goods and I've got to say that Patagonia produces comparable quality for less, and that's a good thing!

Okay, back to the Super Guide Pants...I'm still in the first month of ownership of these pants, so "waterproofing" is still awesome! I was suspicious that the DWR treatment would fail in a deluge but I was wrong. Lots of pockets, great material, super rugged! if it's cold out (10'F). this is the perfect all around/everything pant.

Did I mention that they are very comfy; the brushed interior is velvetie! I would agree with the last review. Out camping, I could easily just crash in these pants!

Thanks for listening. E-mail me if you have any questions.

The Patagonia Super Guide Pant is a great piece of…

Fabric: Patagonia Softshell

The Patagonia Super Guide Pant is a great piece of gear. I recently climbed in the Sierras in them, from a 4,000 foot elevation and 85 degrees to 14,000 feet and 25 degrees, they were flawless. Fit is technical, with articulated knees, and the DWR does not come off easily. I noticed that more detail was built in than in my friend's comparable Mammut Schoeller pants. The boot cuff kept out scree, the pocket held a pair of gloves while I was belaying, the crampon protector on each leg kept me from poking holes in them, and the waist was comfy under a harness and pack. I slept in them and sometimes I wear them to school! They feel soft for such a tough pant.