Patagonia Torrentshell

Weight 13.1 oz / 371 g
Fabric 2.5 Layer, 2.6 oz 50-Denier 100% Nylon Ripstop / Waterproof/Breathable H2No® barrier / Deluge® DWR Finish

I used this jacket on the Appalachian Trail last spring…

Summary

I used this jacket on the Appalachian Trail last spring and when it rained for days at a time this jacket was always keeping me dry. When I would start to sweat all I had to do was unzip the armpit zipper for more ventilation.

I carry this jacket every time there is rain in the forecast because I would hate to be caught in a storm without it. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality product that lives up to the big name hype.

Pros

• Breathes well
  • Protects well from wind
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Drys really quickly

Cons

• Long in the sleeves and torso

The fit is a bit big in the arms and torso, worn over a couple layers erases that problem. The jacket can be adjusted through multiple cords around the waist, the hood and there are Velcro straps around the cuffs.

The jacket is definitely waterproof and will keep you dry in the wettest of environments. With all the zippers closed you can effectively trap all the heat in, when you open the zippers during physical activities it helps expel some of the excess heat, not all of it though.

This jacket was not made to keep you warm by itself, for warmth use layers. Using a long sleeve underneath this jacket is 70% warmer in my opinion. I find that the pockets, zippers, draw-cords and hood work well and I have never had a problem with the functionality of the jacket.

I have used this jacket camping for 12 trips so far and every time it rains when I bike to class; everything works like new and still repels the exterior moisture. I live in Nebraska, but have taken this to the Rockies, the Appalachian trail, and Hawaii. I bought this jacket about a year ago and will never go hiking or biking without it.

Hard shell jacket? Hardly. Get this jacket if you…

Summary

Hard shell jacket? Hardly. Get this jacket if you want it for one thing: torrential rain. This is my emergency jacket that sits in my scooter for when I forgot to check the weather report. Not especially durable, which is why I'm saying this is not a hard shell, but a rain shell. This is a Seattle jacket, not a Whistler or Teton jacket.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Packs into pocket
  • Stylish

I didn't buy this jacket as a bombproof shell. This is for rain when I am not going to put this through the ringer.  I like the colors and fit of the Torrentshell, or Patagonia in general. It's not superbly cut for cartwheels and parkour, but I don't do either of those too often.

I keep this in the trunk of my scooter, so when it rains I unpack it out of its own pocket and stay 100% dry. I'll also go for a walk in Muir Woods in it, vent it if necessary, and be completely happy. Unless the conditions are freezing AND I'm going to be risking my life hourly, this jacket combined with a fleece or mild to moderate insulated layer will do most things necessary.

If you want/need a bulletproof jacket, go mow a few lawns or donate more plasma or just stop paying rent. This might not be the one if you have to have the indestructible. Otherwise, buy this jacket. It's comfortable, stylish, and inexpensive.

I have had a couple rain shells, one from Sierra Designs…

Price Paid: $120?

I have had a couple rain shells, one from Sierra Designs that served me well, one from Marmot that just never fit right, but this one is money! I love the vibrant color (orange for me) and the comfort.

It isn't as noisy as some of the others I have had. I fits perfectly into its own pocket, unlike other things that might claim they do and do not. The only gripe I have is that my hands are always cold and I wish for a fleece lining or something, but other than that this jacket is perfect!

Because it is slim fit, it looks like a soft shell and fits like one too. The hood is great also, because it will fit all the way over your head, hat, or another hood instead of leaving a space for your brims to get wet, and it has yet to blow off my head. Velcro on the cuffs makes them fully adjustable, and with all the cinches and pulleys it is perfectly yours and will ultra-perform in both casual rain and tough weather.

Money jacket, lives up to Patagonia's fashionable design and durability.

shell is light, simple. maybe too simple. lacks vents…

Fabric: H2NO
Price Paid: $120-150

shell is light, simple. maybe too simple. lacks vents and chest pockets, which i really want in a shell/jacket. i have the older generation one with the hood that does not stow away. not able to use pockets effectively as handwarmers because a. they are not lined with any fabric b. they are top entry and just awkward to leave your hands in. shell is very water resistant but barely breathable.

i only use this for no to little activity events such as walking to class in the rain, going from car to store and back in the rain, rained out ball game, etc, etc.

does have the patagonia quality. very little features. just a simple rain jacket.

8 out of 10 for quality