Patagonia Ultra Shorts

Weight 7.3 oz / 206 g
Inseam 9 in (Size M)
Fabric 3.5 oz 50-Denier Polyester Ripstop, Moisture-Wicking Finish
Lining 3.8 oz 100% Microdenier Polyester Crepe, Moisture-Wicking Performance

Typically high quality product from Patagonia. Well…

Fabric: very light weight rip-stop nylon
Price Paid: 40 USD

Typically high quality product from Patagonia. Well conceived and executed for the most part.

What I like:
super light weight, very comfortable liner fabric, comfortable waistband even under a pack strap, lots of pockets, fabric dries very quickly after getting wet, high-quality construction. You can wear these day after day after day in comfort.

What I didn't like quite so much:
I wish the inseam length was just a tiny bit longer (maybe 1 more inch?). I wish at least one of the pockets could be reliably sealed (with a zip or something).

A comment on the pockets...
The pockets are numerous; and, the back pockets have clever little separators that can keep gel packs organized and secure from bouncing around too much. However, all the pockets are only sealed with a small dot of velcro fabric. When running, I like to be able to put my car keys in a pocket from which I'm sure they won't accidentally escape. With these shorts, I don't have that option.

Overall though, I would highly recommend these shorts for running, backpacking, hiking, etc.

Patagonia Ultra Shorts

$55.00 (men's)

The Patagonia Ultra Shorts is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new active short, check out the best reviewed current models.