Weight 7.3 oz / 206 g
Inseam 9 in (Size M)
Fabric 3.5 oz 50-Denier Polyester Ripstop, Moisture-Wicking Finish
Lining 3.8 oz 100% Microdenier Polyester Crepe, Moisture-Wicking Performance

Typically high quality product from Patagonia. Well…

Fabric: very light weight rip-stop nylon
Price Paid: 40 USD

Typically high quality product from Patagonia. Well conceived and executed for the most part.

What I like:
super light weight, very comfortable liner fabric, comfortable waistband even under a pack strap, lots of pockets, fabric dries very quickly after getting wet, high-quality construction. You can wear these day after day after day in comfort.

What I didn't like quite so much:
I wish the inseam length was just a tiny bit longer (maybe 1 more inch?). I wish at least one of the pockets could be reliably sealed (with a zip or something).

A comment on the pockets...
The pockets are numerous; and, the back pockets have clever little separators that can keep gel packs organized and secure from bouncing around too much. However, all the pockets are only sealed with a small dot of velcro fabric. When running, I like to be able to put my car keys in a pocket from which I'm sure they won't accidentally escape. With these shorts, I don't have that option.

Overall though, I would highly recommend these shorts for running, backpacking, hiking, etc.

Patagonia Men's Ultra Shorts

The Men's Ultra Shorts has been discontinued. It last appeared in Patagonia's 2010 product line.

The Patagonia Men's Ultra Shorts is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

Keen Men's Voyageur Review

how is a backpack supposed to fit over the shoulder?

Red's Meadow Hikers Cabins