Patagonia Winter Guide Jacket

To put it simply: the jacket is awesome. After almost…

Fabric: Softshell

To put it simply: the jacket is awesome. After almost 9 months of use it fits well, it moves well, it insulates when you need it, it breathes when you need it. I can lift my arms up above my head without the jacket pulling up (a must in cold weather climbing). The construction is top notch.

The only reason I gave a 4.5 instead of a 5 is the hood is a bit bulky. I wish there was some way to stow it gracefully, rather than letting it dangle like some half attached appendage when not in use. It can collect rain/snow because of this design issue. But, I like having a hood so I've lived with it because the rest of jacket far outweighs this negative.

I've used it both as a stand-alone softshell, underneath Gore-tex hard shell, and with a fleecy top underneath. Never once did I feel the need to complain about it's performance. Important note: this isn't a lightweight semi-warm weather softshell. I've never used it while exercising at temperatures above 55 degrees Fahrenheit, I believe that would be too warm for this. It's clearly design to be a cold weather performance jacket. If you want super light then look elsewhere.

Patagonia Women's Winter Guide Jacket

The Women's Winter Guide Jacket has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Women's Winter Guide Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 16, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.