Patagonia Wool 4 Crew

4 years ago I purchased the Capilene 3 top and figured…

Fabric: wool

4 years ago I purchased the Capilene 3 top and figured one day when I can afford it I'll get the wool 4 and finally did about a year ago. I was a little disappointed for a few reasons.

First, the large was really loose and kind of baggy, I believe they do this because they know that even with the finest care wool inevitably shrinks, and it did. The good news is after shrinking slightly it fit great.

Another issue with this piece, it wasn't as comfortable as promised. The outer is soft smooth wool but inside the material is terry looped which makes for great heat retention but not the most comfortable thing in the world. It's definitely not uncomfortable, just not as comfy as I thought it would be.

My first use of this layer was a beach camping trip where there was a lot humidity at night. Temps got into the low 60's and this was all I needed.

Second time was a fall mountain camping trip with temps in the low 40's. I hiked and slept in it with a TNF Apex shirt over it and it was definitely a pleasant experience, but I started to notice some piling - no bueno, but not enough to make it look bad, besides it's about the warmth first and foremost.

I recommend it if you can get it on sale like I did at Moosejaw, but the full $115 price is outrageous.

Patagonia Wool 4 Crew

The Wool 4 Crew has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Wool 4 Crew is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new base layer top, check out the best reviewed current models.