Petzl e+LITE

Weight 27 g

When you use this headlamp over time, its shortcomings…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

When you use this headlamp over time, its shortcomings really stand out: A fairly expensive, lightweight headlamp with low lumens and short battery life.

Pros

• Lightweight (27grams)
  • Handy carrying case (adds weight)
  • Red light preserves night vision

Cons

• Only 26 Lumens for the first 30 minutes on high setting
  • Short battery life
  • Expensive, hard-to-find battery replacement

I have had this headlamp for several years now. Most of the reviews on this light seemed to have been written following short-term uses—thus the high ratings. Yes, it's well-made, and I like the design, but the cons make it an item best left at home. The "e" stands for "emergency." If you are looking for a light to use in a cave or on the trail, this is not the light to buy. Given its limited usage, I feel it is significantly overpriced.

The carrying case is a nice touch. It adds weight to the unit (without the case, the light weighs in at .95 oz or 2 7grams). Ounces aside, it provides 1) waterproof protection to the light, 2) protection from the light being turned on accidentally, and 3) a place to store it.
E-light-1-.jpg

The case provides a place to slip your belt through. This "ring" is completely solid, making it useless if you are wearing hiking shorts with a built-in belt, or if your belt is larger. Truthfully, in 10 years of owning this light, I've never even thought of using this feature.
E-light-1a-.jpg

Out of the box you can see the entire unit. The latest version of the e+Lite features a retractable zip cord, rather than the adjustable neoprene cord on my older version.
E-light-2-.jpg

A definite "pro" of this light is the swivel base of the e+Lite. As pictured below, you can sit it up as a table light. You have a 360-degree swivel. Another pro—if you look closely at the wire running over top the red base, you'll note this allows the light to be clipped to the visor of a baseball cap or a hammock ridgeline.
E-light-3-.jpg

This view of the faceplate shows all of the lighting options. Working counter-clockwise you have: OFF, Low Beam, High Beam, Flashing White, Flashing Red, Red Beam, and a second OFF.
E-light-5-.jpg

There are three white LED bulbs with a high and low setting. Having looked in multiple locations, including the technical manual, I have not seen any listings for the lumens on low setting. All that is advertised is the high setting at 26 lumens.

E-light-6-.jpg

A single LED is used in red mode. Again, lumens are not reported.
E-light-8-.jpg

THE CONS: There are two chief cons to this light that make it a poor choice in the outdoors: lumens and battery life.

LUMENS:

As mentioned previously, lumens are only mentioned for the highest setting. While the highest setting is 26 Lumens, this number quickly diminishes with use. From the e+Light tech manual, this is what a person can expect in terms of distance:

• FRESH BATTERIES: High-- 29 meters; Low-- 15 meters; Red (not listed)
  • AFTER 30 MINUTES: High-- 13 meters; Low-- 12 meters; Red (not listed)
  • AFTER 10 HOURS: High-- 6 meters; Low-- 6 meters; Red (not listed)
  • AFTER 30 HOURS: High-- 4 meters; Low-- 4 meters; Red (not listed)

So, as you can clearly see, the "high" setting is practically useless after the first 30 minutes. At first, I thought I had a damaged headlamp because I couldn't visually see a difference between high and low after a couple of uses.

One can also see how spending an hour reading in your tent greatly diminishes the usefulness of this light.

BATTERY LIFE:

The above chart already shows the diminishing use of battery life after a mere 30 minutes. The tech manual lists battery life as follows:

• HIGH--55 hours
  • LOW--70 hours (BTW, all the marketing outside of the tech manual says "75 hours.")
  • RED--30 hours

Add to this a hard-to-find, specialized battery (two Lithium CR2032), and you have a light that does not belong on any kind of extended trip.

SUMMARY

The pros to this attractive little light can't compensate for the cons.

Joseph Renow

Goose...thanks for the honest review!

You're most welcome.

A brilliant design..even the barrel tie serves a double…

Summary

A brilliant design..even the barrel tie serves a double funtion as a whistle.

Pros

• Light
  • Functional
  • Compact

Cons

• Uses cell batteries that may be hard or expensive to replace

I have owned many headlamps by now, but all the best and longest-lasting have come from Petzl. When I saw this innovative design, I knew I had to have one (or two or three). Now I see that the design comes with a zip-cord instead of a headband, so I will probably be getting another for Christmas.

Switching from one beam to the next is very easy, intuitive and unlike any other headlamps. It can not be turned on by accident as easily as other headlamps either, so stuff it in your pack with no worries.

The fact that it also has a red light was a must for me, since I work on a ship and need to preserve my night vision during watches. And since you can set the lever to the off position at the bottom, you don't have to run through the white light to get to the red light each time. Brilliant. Even the barrel-tie pulls double-duty as a whistle. If only they could make these fully waterproof, Petzl could sell thousands as essential maritime survival equipment.

The only downside I can see is the battery...more expensive to replace and not as easy to come by as AAA's...however, use of a button battery is what keeps the weight and size down, so it's just what it is. Buy and carry some spares, no big deal.

Love it, love it, love it, Petzl!

A functional headlamp for weight-conscious backpackers,…

Price Paid: ~$25

Summary

A functional headlamp for weight-conscious backpackers, who don't do a lot of night hiking.

• Retractable band
  • Easy to use, locking switch
  • Several modes, including white and red strobes
  • Can be worn on the wrist

Cons

• Dim
  • Uncommon, expensive batteries

This lamp has been my go-to backpacking light for a few years. It isn't without its flaws, but it has functioned well for me in the field. At 0.9oz (27g), you'd be very hard pressed to find a lighter full-featured headlamp.

The e+Lite has five lighting modes (high white, low white, white strobe, red, and red strobe), which are controlled by a simple selector dial with a lock position. The controls are very simple to use and have a "lock" position to prevent accidental activation in your pack or pocket. I use this mainly for camp chores and late night potty trips. I try not to carry this lamp if I know that I will be hiking any distance at night because this 26 lumen lamp just isn't bright enough. It works great around camp though.

This lamp has a retractable cord, which I love. You can put it on your head, around your wrist, on a trekking pole, or around a branch without the hassle of adjusting an elastic headband.

The biggest "con" is the batteries. This lamp uses CR2032 coin-style batteries. These usually only last a few weekend trips and aren't the cheapest to replace. They can also be difficult to find compared to AA or AAA, which makes this lamp unsuitable for long-distance hikers who may not have the ability to scour stores for batteries on resupply days. The batteries are very light, though. So you can carry a set for almost no weight penalty.

With the exception of brightness and the batteries, this is a solid little lamp that takes a beating. I plan to continue using it for backpacking trips.

The Petzl e+LITE is designed as a emergency head-torch…

Price Paid: 26 GBP

Summary

The Petzl e+LITE is designed as a emergency head-torch and at a mere 27g, it is something that I carry with everywhere. With two different settings for white light, a red LED and the ability for both the red and white to flash, it packs a good deal of functionality into something the size of a boiled sweet.

Pros

• At 27g, it is something that can be carried with you at all times
  • Up to 30 hours usage on lower intensity light and red setting, make this an extremely useful and versatile piece of kit
  • Simple pivot mechanism allows for precise direction control of the beam

Cons

• The retractable strap appears a little weak, but after a year of daily use, it's still fine.
  • Your "friends" will want to steal it...

At 27g (less than one ounce) the Petzl e+Lite is an extremely ultralight weight head torch that punches well above its weight. It is designed as a backup or emergency piece of kit and performs extremely well.

The e+Lite has three white LED's and one red, with a total of five light settings and is powered by two small CR2032 batteries, which are included. It is IPV6 rated, which means it is waterproof and can be submersed in up to 1 meter of water for around 30 minutes — I've used in the rain, but am loathe to throw it in the bath to fully check its IPV6 rating :)

It has two different intensity settings for the white light, with the brighter of the two projecting to around 30 metres. The red LED is very effective and allows you to check maps etc., without losing night-vision. With the ability to also select flashing white or flashing red (visible up to 300 meters), make this a very useful little thing to have in your pocket at all times.  Despite not being able to focus the beam, the simple, yet effective, pivot allows you to position the light beam to where you need it most.

Extremely simple to operate, even with gloves, it is a great backup device or addition to anyone's emergency kit and I would recommend it to anyone.

The perfect union of form and function. This little…

The perfect union of form and function. This little guy is one of the most value-packed items you can stash in your pack, car, or anywhere you may end up needing hands-free lighting. Super lightweight, very bright on max white setting, easy to operate, and just plain cool to have on you.

The hat clip is durable, stiff and will aggressively grab onto any thin material (you can even clip it to clothing, cardboard, or paper). The plastic gimble is also pretty stiff, so it will remain in a particular position while you wear it on your head. Note the flat "base" is wide enough to set on a flat surface for lighting a cooking area, etc.

Petzl has pretty much covered every base with this light- even the battery cover has been designed so that you can unscrew it with the spring loaded "barrel" lock on the strap. Although the case isn't 100% waterproof, it is still very well designed. It is light, rugged, capable of being run onto a belt, and just perfectly sized to hold the light and strap.

I should add that brutes who like to manhandle things should probably avoid buying this light (not that I think it couldn't take your abuse, I just think you wouldn't be interested in something so small and refined).

I have carried this headlamp for a few years, it is…

I have carried this headlamp for a few years, it is always in my pack. The light is bright enough to replace a full size but the weight can't be beat. So whether my batt dies or someone forgets a light or breakage this has always been there.

One small problem is that the swivel seems to lose its hold and the lamp does not stay in one position, but this is after a lot of use.

This is an excellent headlamp. I picked it out because…

This is an excellent headlamp. I picked it out because it was the lightest one that I found at such a reasonable price. This is its greatest virtue, it is the lightest headlamp I have ever worn, so light in fact that I sometimes forget that I am wearing it.

Every time that I go out on a trip with new people they end up gushing over it and wishing it that they had purchased this light. So far I have worn it through about 10 nights of camping and the battery has not died yet. Unlike most headlamps, it uses CR2032 lithium batteries which seem to work well, but I don't know if they will be expensive to replace.

The headlamp features red and white lights which can be set to run steadily or to blink. The headlamp also comes with a small carrying case, which I appreciate as it prevents me from losing the headlamp and it protects it.

Great light for first aid kits and as a backup for…

Great light for first aid kits and as a backup for my Icon headlamp, bright and light with good battery longevity.

Light as a feather and performed flawlessly for me…

Price Paid: 30$

Light as a feather and performed flawlessly for me on my morning pack into Tennet Mtn. North Carolina in the Pisgah National Forest on a 20º April morning at 5 o clock.

The red led is just enough to light your way while saving battery and night vision. The white led's on high will illuminate anything within 20 ft. Be careful with the lock feature...I had a hard time unlocking mine!

Wonderful design and build quality. Can be a little…

Wonderful design and build quality. Can be a little tricky at times to attach to straps but other then that gets the job done nicely. Great to have around camp or light up the trail at night. Comes with a nice case you can attach to a belt or strap keeping it at your disposal and the adjustments couldn't be any simpler! Great product.

When I first saw the e+lite it was so beautiful I…

When I first saw the e+lite it was so beautiful I almost shed a tear. Then I used it and I wept openly. It is perfect. Absolutely perfect. I love the design, weight, functionality and everything else about this little fella. I keep an extra battery in the case with the light and it still is the lightest light I have ever come across in my wanderings. Get this light and bask in its beautiful warm glow.

What a great little light. The e+LITE is the answer…

What a great little light. The e+LITE is the answer to question “why can’t I have a light that is bright, easy to use even with gloves, and light weight.” This light is perfect for backpacking due to its size, weight and versatility. This light can be clipped or attached practically anywhere making the perfect light for any use.

The e+Lite is exactly what the light backpacker has…

The e+Lite is exactly what the light backpacker has been waiting for. This versatile lamp weighs about an ounce and is impressively bright! It has multiple mounting features that include being able to attach securely to any strap on your pack, or you can wear it as a watch. The construction of the light itself feels very solid and well built - not to mention it's waterproof to 1m! Battery life is not so great (about 35 hrs), but given the weight of replacement batteries, it would not be difficult to keep several changes available. After testing I have decided that this will be my primary light on the AT this summer!!

I bought this, because it seemed like the most functional…

I bought this, because it seemed like the most functional for my money. Its a nice bright lamp, but I've found mine to be temperamental! I've gone thru 2 now! But I still love them to death and don't go camping without it!!!
-pirate