I'll preface the five star rating by saying that I…

I'll preface the five star rating by saying that I have never owned an off-the-shelf ice tool that performed this well without any modifications. I've owned or used most of the new generation leashless tools (Petzl Ergo, BD Fusion, Simond Scud/Coyote, Grivel Monster/X-Monster) and none have come close to the overall high performance of the Nomic.

Most of the tools listed above specialize in either ice climbing or mixed climbing, but the Nomic performs at the highest level for both ice and rock. It is rock solid on ice and the high clearance gets around the biggest ice features. For mixed climbing, it is incredibly stable, with next to no pick shift when you change between grips.

I would highly recommend this tool.

Hey Brian! Have you ever changed pick for dry pick and back to ice? Or put on adze up and down? I wonder if it is durable and allows to change ice pick multiple time or will wear off quick. Thanks

Great ice tool for waterfall ice and mixed climbing!

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: used 200 EUR a pair

Great ice tool for waterfall ice and mixed climbing! Taken me from Rjukan to the Alps and back again!

• Versitile
  • Robust
  • Effective

• A bit expensive

Great ice tool! I bought mine used though a friend (so I do not own the newest generation). It's been perfect for me, climbing WI 3-5 and mixed alpine routes. I can't think of much more to wish for in an ice tool.

I was so lucky as to get different blades with the tool, so one for training, one for mixed, one for alpine, and one for water ice. Great swing, even without weights.

The only thing I wonder about some times is that the tool sometimes feels a bit soft when dry tooling, like the blade is a bit loose. That might be because I'm not using Petzl's original screws for fastening the blades. It's nothing I notice climbing, only when training inside.

Overall I would recommend this tool for everyone looking for a technical tool to do it all! If I need a new tool at some point, Petzl will be my first go to place.

Welcome to Trailspace, Laurids!