Petzl Reverso

For 7 years, I've used this for all three functions,…

Price Paid: ~30 cdn

Summary

For 7 years, I've used this for all three functions, belay, rappel, and in guide position. Love it! Except...

Pros

• Three positions
  • Sturdy
  • Long life

Cons

• Release for guide position isn't the safest idea

I've used this device for at least 7 years and do love it. I've taken my time growing into it and will always have one on my harness. I love using it on multi pitches as it is a very fast switch from guide to standard belay as your climber passes.

The drawback is I don't like the release for guide position. Meaning the release when belaying up my climber and (for some reason) there is a need to lower. A small lower of a few centimetres is fine by me but the control for a longer release is not great.

After some experiences this spooks me and I've decided it is not the safest way to lower. So I avoid it. I carry a piece of extra gear to change over to a lowering system and everybody gets out alive - hence the star and a half penalty.

I highly recommend this piece of kit but with caution that a buyer know a little extra when deciding to put this into use.

It covers a good diameter range and it's a solid tool.

Price Paid: around 35 EU

It covers a good diameter range and it's a solid tool. Light, easy to use, multipurpose tool. I use it for alpine climbing and mountaineering when double ropes are needed.

You can belay and rappel with this one and it has an auto block mode for belaying one/two seconds. It has three friction levels.

One minus would be the fact that is difficult to lower the second while in auto blocking mode.

Petzl Reverso

The Reverso has been discontinued. It was replaced by the Petzl Reverso 4.

The Petzl Reverso is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 5, 2009 at Ramsey Outdoor.

If you're looking for a new belay/rappel device, check out the best reviewed current models.