Petzl TacTikka

The compact size and light weight are a real plus.

Summary

The compact size and light weight are a real plus. The use of non-lithium batteries won't cause any concerns if you carry this on an airplane.

Pros

• Size
  • Regular batteries
  • Brightness
  • Stealthy design

Cons

• Getting used to the switch modes.

This was purchased to replace an older headlamp. I like Petzl products and was looking for a bright compact light that was not too "flashy" and had minimal functions. This model does the trick.

This light was purchased as a backup for some ice cave exploration and glacier hiking in Iceland and because of the concern regarding carrying lithium batteries for air travel I was looking for a light that used non-lithium batteries.

On lower settings this light is stingy on battery use and it worked well in cold wet weather. I plan on purchasing a second model as a spare to replace my older AA headlamp.

Welcome to Trailspace, George! Ice caving and glacier hiking in Iceland sounds like a fantastic trip!

This is a good, bright headlamp. I like the adjustability…

Summary

This is a good, bright headlamp.

Cons

• Pricey

I like the adjustability from bright to medium to dim to flashing. The red lens is good for moving around in the tent without waking others.  The red lens flips down over the LED lights. The brightest setting is too bright for my eyes for reading but is great lighting up the forest while walking around in the dark. The dim setting is better for my eyes for reading.

I used it in Iraq and will never venture into the…

I used it in Iraq and will never venture into the field without it. It's got good output in both white and red light, it's light enough that you don't know it's there, and small enough to carry in a pocket. The band will fit over a helmet for tactical/high angle work and it's almost indestructable.