Petzl Tikka 2

It is a decent camp light. It has good water resistance.

Summary

It is a decent camp light. It has good water resistance. The battery life on low is good. The lamp has been reliable.

Pros

• Water resistance
  • Good battery life
  • Straightforward to use

Cons

• Only two light settings
  • Light output is barely adequate for night hiking
  • Cannot control wide or narrow beam
  • Light "leaks" on bottom with the clear housing

I bought this lamp to replace the Tikka offered  from about 3 years ago. That lamp was, um,  permanently borrowed when I was overseas.

I was really happy with the model this design replaced, and from the other reviews I read, this model seemed to be a decent lamp.

Maybe because the other lamp was so amazing, I was spoiled, but I just haven't been nearly as satisfied with this as its replacement.

The range of working light on high is probably about 40 feet. But the light is pretty diffused. If I didn't have decent night vision, I would struggle with the throw and intensity of the light.  I found myself getting very frustrated that I was not able to change the setting from diffused to beam, much more than I was expecting that I would.

Another frustration is this version's shroud is translucent under the actual lightbulb, and light "leaks" into my eyes when the headlamp is squared on my forehead. In order to stop that, and not have itaffect my night vision, I have to push the headlamp up farther on my head, and then it wants to slide off the top my head.

The lamp came with batteries, and I have not had to change the batteries yet. That is one of the great things about his light. It sips the juice, especially on the low setting, which is what I tend to use when I at camp to conserve the battery life.

The batteries are easy enough to change. Just watch the flanges to not pry too hard.

The design shucks water fine.  I have not had any issues with moisture.

The button is pretty straightforward. It cycles through the settings fine, and it does turn on in the same mode it was last turned off.

The red mode seems bright enough to use at night, but I find I just tend to use the low white light setting. I find that I would rather have a mid white setting than a strobe setting. Realistically, I doubt I will ever use the strobe setting. The need seems to be pretty limited.

One of the primary reasons I bought the Tikka is because of Petzl's reputation. I have been quite happy with  physical durability of their products.  This headlamp seems to represent that durability.

I used this headlamp for all of my backpacking last season. I did some night hiking, and lots of camp duties at night.

In my experience, it is barely adequate for night hiking. At 70 lumens, and its diffused design, I can use it on the trail hiking, but I sure wouldn't use it for running trail. It makes an adequate camp light, and its dim setting is fine for tent reading.   I am sure that the strobe setting would be fine for biking or emergency beaconing.

If I had it to do over again, I would not go with this lamp.

I have no good, clear images of my personal use, but I am including some pictures that feature the lamp in its look, use, and design:

Petzl-TIKKA-2-Core-Rechargeable-Headlamp

30079-petzl_tikka_445.jpg

images.jpg

petzl_tikka_xp_10.jpg

Rick-Pittsburgh

I am somewhat confused here a bit. You have pics of different headlamps. The Tikka 2 is a 4 LED lamp as shown in the manufacturer's photo at the top of the page. I cannot see the LED count on the 1st bottom photo(green) but I know the next 2 photos are of the previous gen Tikka Plus 2(50 lumen which I own,) and the last photo is that of a XP variation(see diffuser/clear tab protruding on front of lamp face.)

1 year ago

Got this as a Christmas present in 09. It replaces…

Price Paid: Gift

Got this as a Christmas present in 09. It replaces a Princeton Tec light which was cracked open by my 2 yr old daughter. Light is powerful. Cons only high/low setting. Good light for the $$$.

Had the standard energizer lamp before I bought this.

Had the standard energizer lamp before I bought this. WOW! What a difference. Covers the perfect amount of area/depth and is brighter than expected. Incredibly light and comfortable.

Visit Petzl's Tikka 2 page.

Petzl Tikka 2 HeadlampGetting stuff done around the campsite, or riding your bike home late is always going to be a lot of stumbling around without one Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp. This lamp solves that problem for sure. Bright, less bright and flash setting, are three modes that let you get just the right amount of lighting, while saving batteries life. This new generation of TIKKA 2 headlamps uses the latest in LED technology for significantly improved lighting performance. Petzl added a tilt able housing to let you aim the light beam wherever you need it, so you can send your project or pitch your tent without issues. In maximum mode, the four LEDs deliver 40 lumens of light and provide enough light to see over a distance of 29 meters. The economic mode optimizes battery life and therefore provides a long burn-time of up to 120 hours. The battery compartment is from the Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp is now hinged for easier access along with an easier to use closure system.

- SunnySports

Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp - The Tikka 2 headlamp by Petzl offers great versatility with three lighting modes accessed by a simple electronic push-button switch. In maximum mode, the four LEDs deliver 40 lumens of light and provide enough light to see almost 30 meters! The economic mode optimizes battery life and provides a long burn-time of up to 120 hours. The battery compartment is hinged for easier access along with an easy to use closure system. The Petzl Tikka 2 headlamp is an easy to use, powerful and versatile headlamp.

- Outdoorplay

CLOSEOUTS . Petzland#39;s Tikka 2 headlamp lights up the night with an ultrabright 40-lumen beam, and has three light modes as well as a tilt adjustment. Available Colors: BLUE, VIOLET.

- Sierra Trading Post

Petzl's TIKKA 2 LED headlamp offers great versatility with its three different lighting modes (maximum, economic and strobe). The three modes are accessed by a simple push-button switch. The Headlamp features four LEDs that deliver 40 lumens of light and provide enough illumination to see over a distance of 90 ft. Running the headlamp in its economic mode provides a long burn-time of up to 120 hours. PRODUCT FEATURES: Easy to use: - three lighting modes (maximum, economic and strobe) - 40 lumens (maximum mode) - shines up to 29 meters (maximum mode) - 120 h light duration on economic mode Practical: - simple push-button switch - battery pack is easy to open - ADAPT system is quick to mount - light beam can be aimed Compact, light and comfortable: - single compartment contains LEDs and batteries - adjustable headband Reliable: push-button switch limits inadvertently turning on the lamp during storage

- Appalachian Outdoors