Petzl Ultra

Horrible battery life and Petzl doesn't back them.

Summary

Horrible battery life and Petzl doesn't back them. Batteries cost $125 each and I have been through three batteries in 2.5 years.

Pros

• Very bright light

Cons

• Bad battery life
  • Poor customer service if you have problems
  • Huge expense

I thought the Petzl Ultra would be the best headlamp I could buy, but I am not at all happy with it. I’ve purchased 3 more batteries in the 2.5 years I’ve had my Ultra and none of the batteries will last more than 40 minutes (in the 2nd position) including my newest battery.

$450 for the Ultra and another $350 for batteries and I have a headlamp that can’t be used for an hour long trail run. So I’m about  $800 out and I have to get another brand of headlamp for my hour long trail run.

Some of the batteries just go dead in use — no warning blinks — just total dark. Try running as fast as you can on a trail and then have your headlamp go totally out on you without warning. Heaven forbid someone actually goes caving with one of these.

Scott Sodervick

Bluffton Indiana

Felkers.goe@yahoo.com

I have bought Petzl Ultra for mountain biking at night,…

Price Paid: $500 in S.A.

I have bought Petzl Ultra for mountain biking at night, but I am currently using it at my work, about 1km underground, on a South African gold mine.

As a geologist, I ventured into using LED lamps, as they reveal rocks in their true colours, and thus enable more accurate observations. However, Petzl Ultra blew me away with further crucial improvements:

1. Wide beam- it gives me better 3D perception of geo. structures, as well as it leads me to notice danger sooner. With Petzl Ultra I normally build a higher awareness of everything, concerning my work and well-being in tunnels and stopes, and with "Ultra" also I achieve this much faster than before, when I had to "pan" my surroundings with narrov beams (bobbing my head like a chicken, and "composing" complete image in my head from multiple "scans"). Similar experiences of enhanced safety with Petzl Ultra also came from camping, climbing, biking and caving. Wide beam means safety in every environment!

2. Toughness- on top of now "seeing it all", I am however still accident prone (personal trait), and I bump my head regularly, so I can report that I knocked the lens of my Ultra into a roof bolt underground and into each and every "suitably" positioned hangingwall rock that "came my way" -yet I don't have any scratches on the lamp, to prove it!

3. Adjustability- I can angle the beam respectfully down to my feet, when I talk to my bosses, and point it straight ahead "on full", when questioning a subordinate (very strong intimidating effect). When walking on flat, angling the beam down, is a major plus. And the best of all, the beam is so even that I can read books and newspapers underground (not that we ever do that, of course).

Some criticism:

1. Focusing- I hope at Petzl they are working on a focusing mechanism, which would enable a shift from wide beam, to a focused, concentrated one, as the later is occasionally needed as well, -to illuminate smaller areas, further away.

2. Strobe Mode- for the accident prone please, a strobe mode is required.

3. Price- the hard hat, we are all wearing in S.A. underground, costs 2 dollars, so days all miners carry Ultras are as close, as colonization of Mars, but professionals and management should be able to get themselves Ultras already: but wider introduction underground may be subject to industrial testing, aimed to certifying these lamps as safe in methane-prone environments. I hope Petzl will recognize the potential for the use of this lamp in industry, and have it sealed and tested. They can also make the cable a bit thicker (is it rat-proof? -marine applications).

Thanks, Igor

Visit Petzl's Ultra page.

The ULTRA headlamp line is designed for extreme activities requiring both long distance and wide-angle lighting at the same time; which are essential for anticipating obstacles and complete freedom of movement during activities such as orienteering races, treks, running, etc. With a maximum brightness of 350 lumens, these lamps have an exceptional weight-to-power ratio. The innovative and modular design of the ULTRA BELT and ULTRA headlamps allows them to be easily and quickly be adapted to any situation; by increasing the battery life or changing the way the headlamp is worn, for example. the Petzl ULTRA headlamp offers unbeatable fit and balance on the head. Built for a maximum output of 350 lumens/visual distance lighting of 120 meters, this high powered head lamp is designed for action and activities where powerful lighting, mobility, freedom of movement, and speed are key elements for performance. The Petzl ULTRA headlamp adapts perfectly to the needs of the user with its range of accessories. The Petzl ULTRA extension cord offers the possibility of moving the battery pack off the head in order to reduce the weight on the head, or to prolong battery life in extreme cold by keeping the battery pack warm under clothing. Petzl Ultra Specifications:High (350 Lumens): 120m beam / 1h45Optimum: 80m beam / 4h54Economic: 40m beam / 16h45Can be used with an optional 4Ah battery and extension lead to provide the same durations as the Belt version below.

- Mountain Hideaway

On Sale. Free Shipping. Petzl Ultra Headlamp DECENT FEATURES of the Petzl Ultra Headlamp Ultra high-output lighting Three lighting modes adapt lighting to the activity Economic: lights to 40 meters for 16 h 45 (50 lumens) Optimum: lights to 80 meters for 4 h 45 (190 lumens) Maximum: lights to 120 meters for 1 h 30 (350 lumens) Constant lighting guarantees performance that will not decrease during its entire lifetime; switches to reserve mode for a minimum of 30 minutes when rechargeable battery is almost discharged High-output LEDs Comfortable and ergonomic: Excellent stability on the head: compact design, flexible stabilization plate and comfort foam, wide elastic headband and adjustable top strap Easy to use: choice of lighting level with intuitive dial High-performance rechargeable batteries Rechargeable 2000 mAh Lithium Ion battery offers large capacity and excellent performance at low temperatures, but remains as light as possible Test button for rechargeable battery with battery level indicator Reliable and durable Durable construction and storm resistant (IP 66) Bulb does not need to be replaced Lamp and rechargeable batteries are guaranteed for 3 years Versatile Light body can be tilted vertically to change light direction Connection system allows the battery to be removed quickly for recharging Reflective sticker for rechargeable battery pack Included Headlamp and adjustable headband Rechargeable 2000 mAh Lithium Ion battery and quick charger Europe and in North America adapters Technical information The SPECS Weight: 345 g Beam pattern: wide Rechargeable battery (included): ACCU 2 ULTRA Watertightness: IP 66 Certification: CE

Pure Power by Petzl - Ultra-powerful and ergonomic headlamps designed for activities requiring a wide beam (caving, etc.). The ULTRA WIDE provides ultra-powerful regulated lighting of 300 lumens and a uniform beam for approximately 180. Designed for action, the ULTRA WIDE is held securely on the head. The ULTRA WIDE is extremely reliable and robust: in all weather conditions, with long burn-times, and with a power level that is easily verified. The ULTRA WIDE's accessories allow the headlamp to adapt to the user's needs; most notably, the optional extension cord allows the battery pack to be disconnected from the headband to reduce the weight carried on the head.

- CampSaver.com

An ultra-powerful light, 3 brightness levels, and an ACCU2 Ultra remote rechargeable battery make Petzl's Ultra Headlamp ideal for extreme adventurers. Illuminate your next late-night mountain bike ride or orienteering race with 350 lumens cast by new generation LEDs, they last for an hour and 30 minutes plus 30 more when you hit reserve power mode so that you're never left in the dark when you're batteries are running low.

- Mountain Gear

Petzl Ultra

The Petzl Ultra is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 14, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new headlamp, check out the best reviewed current models.