Podsacs Waste Management System L

A dry bag with little features that make it ideal…

Price Paid: $6 for the small, $10 for the medium

Summary

A dry bag with little features that make it ideal for carrying out both synthetic and human waste from the wilderness. Perfect organizational tool for managing waste and practicing the Leave No Trace philosophy. The product is well put together and more than adequate for the task.

Pros

• Good build quality
  • Bright colour and warning make it easy to distinguish
  • multiple closures to prevent leaks
  • Attachment points to clip on backpacks
  • Good value

Cons

• Can leak under more extreme conditions

So what are these?

Well basically they are a dry bag that has two enclosures to prevent leaking, and a bright red colour and warning sign not to be mistaken for anything else! They are intended for storing and carrying out waste from the wilderness, whether it be synthetic or human/personal if you are so inclined!

They cost about the same as a regular good quality dry bag but have several features which make it worth purchasing, in my opinion of course. A good solution for those who practice leaving no trace. I personally do not use them for their ultimate use of carrying out human waste (I believe that's sufficient to be buried), but they are excellent for carrying out food wastes and used up tissues which may stink up, leak, or dirty up the contents of your pack, especially if you put them in a plastic bag that can tear.

They come in three sizes, Small (1.5 L, 48g), Medium (4L, 68g), and Large (10L 95g).

I have purchased the small and medium sizes. The small is perfect for a day trip or lightweight overnighter, and the medium is perfect from 1 day to a week, depending on how much waste you make.

The first thing you notice about these bags is that they are indeed bright and easy to notice, and generally look like quite a handsome well put together product.

podsacs1.jpg

podsacs4.jpg

Although the warning is not really necessary, it is a nice, and "cute" touch.

podsacs2.jpg

As you can see in the photo below. There are two closures to improve your odds of not having any waste leak out, or moisture getting in and having it run all over your gear!

podsacs3.jpg

The buckles are substantially robust and they also feature rings which can be used to clip the waste to the outside of your pack.
podsacs5.jpg

For my needs (and I imagine most everyone else) this is a perfectly adequate dry bag and it has some clever little additions which make it more amenable to carrying out wastes. Still I wanted to see just how far I can push these, so I decided to have some fun!

I used the small sac for this test.

I filled it with about 1L of water.

podsacs6.jpg

Sealed up the inner flap (only 3 rolls, that's the minimum recommended).

podsacs7.jpg

Filled the upper part with dry tissues.

podsacs8.jpg

Held it upside down, moved it around with what would be the average amount of motion a backpacker would subject it to.
podsacs9.jpg

I then checked the tissues and they were dry.

Then I decided to push it. So I tossed it around like a football for about a minute!

podsacs10.jpg
Unfortunately that cause a bit of leaking, as you can see in the tissues below. Again not a lot, but that pressure really tested the inner seam and likely the inner roll-top. Still it's impressive how little water got through even after the unreasonable amount of pressure and misuse I have put it through. Fairly impressed!

podsacs11.jpg

Conclusion: For the price, this is an excellent product, and for my personal use it's just about perfect. However, the reason I only gave it 4 stars is because I could get it to leak (I know a bit unreasonable). I feel, given the nature of the intended use, it would benefit from perhaps a tacky rubber lining on the lip of the roll-top (at least the inner) to ensure a better seal.

Either way, this isn't a glamorous outdoors product, but waste removal is something to think about, and this is certainly a great product and I highly recommend it!

It may not be glamorous, but it looks very helpful! Thanks for this review, TJ.

I'm voting for this review, but I'd be more impressed with a video demonstrating usage. Okay, forget I said that!

Patman

Well Done TJ. G00SE...uh....never mind.

TJ1984

I thought this was a family friendly site!

B. Frost

The bloody truth... i think i could use this bag while hiking backcountry & starting my monthly menustration & dealing with 3-7 days in the real world any woman can loose their marbles. Being on the trail without flushing toilets, garbage cans, sinks, showers, spare underwear or clothing, heating pads, ice pads, excess amounts of junk food & then deal with the uterus shedding, piece of cake. Just stick those rat tails in the bag instead of digging holes in the ground will keep the environment clean & safe. HAPPY TRAILS!!!

Podsacs Waste Management System L

The Podsacs Waste Management System L is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 30, 2013 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new waste and sanitation supply/device, check out the best reviewed current models.