I used the AXN300, which was a load of rubbish. I…

Price Paid: 350€

Summary

I used the AXN300, which was a load of rubbish. I wouldn't trust Polar ever again. My watch was repaired four times and constantly let me down and cost me a lot of money to own and maintain.

The manual says I can replace the batteries, but Polar declined all responsibility. The repair facility in France is a rip-off, charging over 20€ plus battery to change a battery which doesn't last very long. The watch is massive and snags on clothing and sleeves.

Pros

• The watch's main strength is in supplying Polar and its subsidiaries with revenue for repairs.

Cons

• Unreliability
  • High cost
  • Contradictory advice from Polar in Finland and an arrogant service centre in France

I apologise for my review being so negative. The watch is attractive if you like large chunky black stuff on your wrist that snags on clothing.

There is a host of features that appear impressive, but if a watch is unreliable and prone to frequent breakdowns, it's quite pointless. If you are stuck in a remote and inhospitable country there is no hope to have the item repaired short of sending it back to Finland.

In the end I rejected the offer to pay even more money to Polar and so the French repair facility presumably binned it, which is what, with hindsight, I should have done years ago and bought more sensibly. I never even showered with it; it was never subjected to shocks of any sort or ever exposed to extreme humidity or moisture.

My first AXN300 went wrong two months after I bought it. This was replaced by the dealer who sold it. After that, it was  steady and depressing loss of euros and credibility in what I thought was a company that manufactured quality materiel.

I'll never buy another Polar product again. However the strap was quite good, and perhaps I should have asked Polar France to return my defunct watch so that my German Shepherd dog could wear it and look butch.

Polar AXN300

The Polar AXN300 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 10, 2009 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new heart rate monitor, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016