PowerFilm USB+AA Solar Charger

This charger works just as the manufacturer says.

This charger works just as the manufacturer says. Charges 2 drained AA batteries in 3 1/2 hours in full sun, but takes longer in partial sun. Charging rate is directly related to quality of sun light. It was also able to charge my PDA phone.

The charging is real slow here but it does charge it. However, for some reason I have to have the phone turned off in order for it to charge. The grommets happen to be spaced perfectly to attach the panel to the lid of my pack via the four gear loops at the corners.

I have had this charger for about 2 months now and have dropped it numerous times, scraped it up bushwhacking, and spilled tea on it and it still works fine.

I do see three potential drawbacks: 1) the battery door is hard to open so the potential to break it is high 2) there is no protective cover for the USB jack therefor the internals are readily exposed to the elements. (I put duct tape over mine) 3) the battery door has about 1/8th inch gap between the hinged side of the door and the charger body, providing a good place for the elements to enter.

Otherwise I have had good results so far with this charger and would recommend it to others.

If you've owned or used a PowerFilm USB+AA Solar Charger, please share your experience.

PowerFilm USB+AA Solar Charger

The PowerFilm USB+AA Solar Charger is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new solar charger, check out the best reviewed current models.