prAna Stretch Zion Convertible

Been searching for the perfect pair of backpacking…

Price Paid: $69 after 20% coupon

Summary

Been searching for the perfect pair of backpacking convertible pants and I've found them!

Pros

• Seamless waistband
  • Stretch!
  • Convertible
  • Sheds water

Cons

• Price

I've been searching for the perfect pair of COMFORTABLE convertible backpacking pants for years. My biggest complaint has always been elastic waistbands totally rubbing my hips raw under my hip belt. If the weather is foul for board shorts and I wear pants I end up bloody.

My girlfriend found a pair of awesome Columbia stretch convertible pants that were perfect but they don't make them for men? I only found them in long pants (not convertible) which doesn't work for me. I don't want to pack anything extra. 1 pair of do it all convertible pants is all I want. I really loved the stretch. My North Face waist haters are so tough but make it a struggle to go uphill because they don't give at all.

After lots of research I discovered these Prana stretch Zion convertible pants. I shy'd away from them for a while because they were so expensive. I finally received a 20% REI coupon and bought them online (and another bloody rainy fall trip that made me want to burn my North Face pants). Really, the scars are still there 5 months later.

These Pranas are the best!!!!

Sooooo comfy!

The waistband is seamless! No discomfort at all from my hip belt.

They move freely with every movement.

I put them through the test in Joshua Tree climbing boulders, sitting on rough boulders, snagging desert plants cross country hiking, and they survived three nights of 30+mph winds and rain.

I hope they never stop making these because whenever I need a new pair these are the only ones I will ever wear again.

I really love the attention to detail.

There is a little hidden zip pocket by the regular front pocket for chap stick.

The cargo pockets have dual entry! What? Yes! You can access your cargo pockets from the top OR the side facing the front (which becomes the top when you are sitting down) GENIUS!!!!

The back pockets don't have any buttons, Velcro, or zippers so don't put your wallet or anything important there.

When the legs are zipped off to cargo shorts they are a little long.

Don't know if they were going for the capri look or if there's some back country function I haven't learned yet.

They kept me cool on long desert hikes and warm on windy cold wet nights.

And they come in different lengths, not just waist sizes!

It also has an adjustable belt in case I burn my beer belly off (or drink lots of beer and need to let them out)

Thanks, Prana! And my waist thanks you too!

Thanks for the review, sparkaj! I'd love to see a picture of these pants on. Also, what Columbia pants does your girlfriend love?

FromSagetoSnow

Make sure you wash the legs and shorts together or they'll fade differently and look weird