Primus 71

I own a Primus No 71. This is an earlier version of…

Price Paid: £5

I own a Primus No 71. This is an earlier version of the Optimus 123R and the stove is virtually identical, but the tin container is a different design.

I bought mine from a car boot sale recently. This is a garage sale or similar in the US and they are very popular in Britain in the summer. The stove is absolutely foolproof and reliable, with only one moving part, the on off tap. The stove is built like a tank and although mine is probably 60 years old, it is still as good as the day it was manufactured.

My only criticism is that it won't break any water boiling records and does gradually built up power over a few minutes while the brass tank warms up and pressurises the petrol (gas) vapours more.

My 15 year old MSR XGK is my top stove, but I shall certainly be using this new acquisition in the future. A wonderful simple design.

If you've owned or used a Primus 71, please share your experience.

Primus 71

The 71 has been discontinued.

No price on record.

The Primus 71 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new liquid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.