Primus Express Stove

Output 2600 watts / 8900 BTU/h
Boil Time 3.15 Min
Burn Time 85 Min on 230 g / 8.1 oz gas cartridge
Suitable for 1 - 2 People

I agree that one of the other reviewers has gone off…

I agree that one of the other reviewers has gone off on a tangent: lightweight isobutane stoves vs. liquid fuel stoves. Before I describe my experience with this particular stove, let me simply point out that isobutane cannisters are readily available just about everywhere and that most backpackers don't use infrared heaters.

Furthermore, lightweight stoves like this are pretty bulletproof, not requiring cleaning kits and replacement parts as do most liquid fuel stoves. There are very few adjustments with these stoves, no pumping, no hoses to leak, etc.

I use my Express mostly with a GSI hard anodized aluminum kit and it can boil water in three or four minutes. A canister lasts me nearly a week. The three supports to a good job of keeping the pot steady, though they are a bit small to handle a decent frying pan. I would definitely recommend getting the Primus legs for the canister (or whatever unit fits your canister manufacturer...the Primus seems to work only with their own canisters). It really stabilizes the whole assembly and mine fits right into my GSI kit with the stove.

The unit itself is tiny and folds up very neatly. I've had no problems with the folding mechanism. The unit ignites on the first or second try each time.

Highly recommended for personal use.

The other review for this stove seems to be a review…

Price Paid: Free

The other review for this stove seems to be a review of compact canister stoves in general and has very little to say of this particular model.

I picked this up as a giveaway and I was pleasantly surprised. It is more miserly on fuel than my MSR PocketRocket, with more stable pot supports, and better wind resistance. It's also 3 oz on the dot on my postal scale, so it is competitive with anything else out there.

The flame control is good, but the flame is a bit narrow, all in all it's still better for boiling than even heat. If weight is not your top concern, consider the Primus EtaExpress instead for more wind resistant cooking, still with the option to leave the extras at home and take just the Express stove itself.

For me, among compact canister stoves, only the Snow Peak LiteMax is really preferable to the Primus Express.

Object of this stove is small size but it runs on…

Object of this stove is small size but it runs on propane cans hard to get. IF you are a serious backwoods camper, stick with the liquid fuels like Coleman, kerosene or alcohol to save weight which can be carried safely in thin aluminum bottles.

My camp site has infrared heating, lighting, cooking and even refrigeration powered by 16 ounce propane bottles. 16 ounce propane bottle with small single mantle lantern and fly burner makes more sense. A simple frypan can boil or cook almost any food including 'microwavable' foods from the camp store.

TOAST requires a metal fork and patience....'Leggo my Eggo' waffle! Cooking breakfast in a cold morning tent means heat that you don't have from sleeping bag. Primus Express is just too small...trust me...I never burned a Thomas' English Muffin on a fork. WHY SUFFER?