Primus Himalaya

I took this stove on a bike ride from Anchorage to…

I took this stove on a bike ride from Anchorage to Seattle and used it twice a day for two months straight. Somewhere in North BC the leather pump tore, but we repaired it with epoxy before replacing it with a new seal at Prince George. Make sure to keep your leather greased! All the parts are designed to be preplaced/repaired and it has very fast lighting time compared to MSRs.

Just recently I started to have pressure problems. I called Suunto (Primus dist. in US) and they sent me a new fuel line free, which fixed the problem.

Oh, and one more thing: its all metal construction looks cool and it makes a loud roar when burning. Even with two major problems, I'd still recommend this stove.

I bought this stove about 11 years ago, about mid-way…

I bought this stove about 11 years ago, about mid-way through my Army career. I had to carry everything I needed in a rucksack so every square inch of space was a precious commodity and versatility and durability was a necessity.

I would carry a can of ISO butane and a fuel bottle full of white gas with me also and occasionally, when I ran out of both, I would go "borrow" some JP-4 from the Support Troops' vehicles. JP-4 is similar to diesel fuel but I'm told it is a bit more refined. This stove worked perfectly, although it is a bit loud and became less efficient very quickly when using JP-4. About 10 minutes of cleaning with the included tools revitalized the stove.

My previous stove was a Scorpion II that only used ISO butane and before that I used the old Army "heat tabs". The "heat tabs" were OK, the Scorpion II was pretty good even though it only worked with one type of fuel but the Primus Himalaya offered the most versitility. I virtually could never run out of fuel.

I would recommend this stove to anyone who was looking for a way to cook while away from the "comforts of home". This stove never let me down.

The Primus MFS stove is able to withstand the harshest conditions and runs on all fuel types.

This versatile stove will operate on a variety of liquid fuels making it perfect for expeditions or travel abroad. Serrated supports keep pots secure on uneven terrain; open design prevents legs from getting hot. Long, flexible stainless steel fuel line lets you position stove and fuel bottle in the most stable position. Preheating system improves operation in extreme cold. Pump and stove are easily field maintainable to ensure operation in all conditions; aluminum fuel pump is lightweight and durable. Built-in wind screen doubles as a heat reflector to increase the stove's operating efficiency. Includes fuel pump, cleaning needle, service tool and nylon stuff sack. Fuel bottle sold separately.

The Primus Himalaya Vari-Fuel System 10,000 backpacking and trekking stove offers a stable and sturdy design you use under the most severe weather conditions. It features non-slip burner grids and a continuously variable flame that allows you to simmer. This grill burns white gas, kerosene and other petroleum fuels and includes a Primus fuel pump, an extra jet nipple for kerosene, a cleaning needle, and a service tool.

- FogDog Sports

Primus Himalaya

The Himalaya has been discontinued.

The Primus Himalaya is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 13, 2007 at Gear for Adventure.

If you're looking for a new liquid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.