Weight 67 g / 2.4 oz
Dimensions 80 mm x 50 mm x 20 mm / 3.15 in x 2.0 in x 0.8 in

Well-made outdoor lighter optimized for lighting the…

Price Paid: 15 EUR + 9 EUR adapter

Summary

Well-made outdoor lighter optimized for lighting the stoves and campfires. Supports refilling from standard gas canisters via optional quite expensive adapter. Very convenient for outdoor use.

Pros

• Forward-directed flame for lighting stoves and campfires, not the cigarettes
  • May be recharged from standard threaded gas canisters (via optional adapter)
  • Nice quality, shape and feel
  • Automatic dust cover for nozzle
  • Good protection against accidental firing

Cons

• Non-informative fuel level
  • Quite premium price of lighter with filling adapter

During more than 10 years in backpacking and camping I tried numerous ways for lighting the stoves and campfires. None of them were perfect though: the matches are expendable and prone to getting wet, consumer lighters are exhausted quickly and may drain gas into your gear. I’d used the fire stone for couple of years, but while cooking on liquid fuel my right index finger was getting slightly burned each time. And the silent damper cap I purchased for my Primus Omnilite Ti made using the fire stone even more difficult.

At one point I decided that I need a handy and burn-safe flame starter which will last long and may be refilled. Accidentally I found the Primus Powerlighter in a German shop, along with adapter (sold separately) for filling from standard Primus-compatible gas canisters. Despite the quite premium price of this kit, I purchased it in beginning of 2017. Since then I’ve been using it as a primary way for lighting the fire, both indoors and outdoors.

IMG_3165.jpg(Actually you need both hands for refilling the lighter)

The lighter is sold in empty state, so you need some gas to make it work. I fill it from threaded gas canister via adapter. It’s not difficult, but the gas smell is obvious—better go outdoors or use the kitchen hood. Unfortunately the filling indicator window is too small, and sometimes you cannot say, if the lighter is 100% full or 100% empty. The manual says that it shall not be filled above 75%.

The flame nozzle is covered by dust cap which is automatically lifted when you press the button. So the dust and debris will not get inside easily. The button is quite firm, it’s almost impossible to press it accidentally or by a small child. It’s better to press the button softly, otherwise you’ll need two clicks for making the flame appear.

The visible part of flame is quite short, about 1.5 cm (½ in), but after all this is a lighter, not a torch. Manufacturer claims the peak temperature of 1300°C (2400 °F), so actually usable flame length is longer than visible. The flame is directed forward, making the lighting a stove or a campfire extremely easy and burn-safe.

It’s a valuable improvement over a typical upward-firing lighter for cigarettes. Generally the risk of burning the fingers is reduced dramatically in comparison to consumer lighters and fire stone. Notably the Primus Powerlighter allows for continuous 5-minute burning for lighting the campfire under rain.

All in all the lighter works as expected, so I can call it outdoor-optimized and recommend as a nice gift for any outdoor enthusiast.

Nice review, Vladimir, thanks!

I had been looking for a lighter of this type for…

Price Paid: $17.95 USD

I had been looking for a lighter of this type for some time. I will do tons of research before I make a gear purchase. I read of other companies making a lighter of this type and found them to be very expensive. I found this lighter at Smoky Mountain Outfitters in Gatlinburg, TN and bought it instantly after looking everywhere for it. The gentleman was nice enough to fill it for me as well, showing me how easy it was. I thought it to be a great backpacking lighter.

And I have so far been right. Wow what a value! It has come alive every time since I trained myself to light it slowly. There is a split second where fuel needs to be in the ignition area to light. I love it around the house as well. I don't smoke anything and still find myself carrying this lighter. The heat from this little hand volcano is great for starting campfires with ease, starting charcoal, lol lighting fireworks, and tons of other everyday uses.

Bought a small canister of fuel at walmart for a couple dollars and the lighter refills in a snap, nothing confusing.

I cannot say that I have used any similar products, but I really don't plan to do any underwater welding, therefore I really don't see a need to buy anything else - except maybe another one of these. I am highly recommending this product.

Pros: Ease of use, reliable, refilling, small size and weight.

Cons: must hold at correct angle when pointing downward, might try the other model with angled nozzle

PS: Can't wait to get the Primus adaptor for the isobutane canisters to fill with my Jetboil fuel.