ProBar Old School PB&J Bar

Nuts, nuts and more nuts. OK, technically seeds but…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Seth at Trailspace)

Summary

Nuts, nuts and more nuts. OK, technically seeds but still really yummy.

Pros

• Nuts/seeds I have never tried before
  • Healthy ingredients
  • Meal replacer
  • Great nutty, chewy texture w/o tasing like a brownie
  • Vegan, if that's your thing

Cons

• Does not taste/resemble a PB&J sandwich to me
  • Not especally filling for 370 cal

Touted as a meal replacement bar, this offering is a nutrient dense bar with nearly 400 calories per bar.

After over three decades I still enjoy a good PB&J, unless I am around one of my peanut allergic acquaintances, which seems to be more common for some reason. I was concerned that the PROBAR might mangle their attempt at replicating this staple of my cold lunches and I had low expectations when I unwrapped this bar during lunch.

20130516_103842.jpg

Ingredients:

This bar is evidently 100% vegan which does nothing for this omnivore but may appeal to some. I was pretty much able to understand all the ingredient names (still don’t know what Arabic gum is) but it looked pretty edible.

Still though this bar is 370 calories in a very small package. I wasn’t overly full after eating it and could see myself eating a lot more food and ending up with a big calorie bill without feeling especially full.

Texture/appearance:

For better or worse, this looks nothing like a PB&J sandwich.  This is a fruit and nut bar, plain and simple, with very little fruit. If a brown bar crusted with more different kinds of nuts than an alien abductees convention appeals to you you’ll like it. Once I got over the idea that it wasn’t a PB&J in a bag, I was able to enjoy it a lot more.

20130516_103938.jpg

No jelly. Yes, I think those are hemp seeds.

Taste:

Again, nothing like a PB&J. Little/no peanut butter flavor, little to no fruity jam flavor and nothing resembling bread. Mostly nuts and a great figgy/malty-tasting dough mixture. I thought it tasted fantastic. I like the textures of the nuts and their flavors; a little sweet and not too salty.

I gave a bite to one of my kids and about lost a finger, she loved it too. These are very good-tasting bars even though they don’t, to me, resemble a PB&J in the least. This bar didn’t stand a chance after I tasted it.

20130516_104242.jpg

She left me a little after her bite.

Conclusion:

I think this bar is a keeper, I’d eat one just about any day. If you want PB&J flavor on the trail make yourself a sandwich and bring it. Just remember to put peanut butter on both slices of bread so the jam doesn’t soak through. If you want a bar that’s got good things in it and also tastes good, this is a good option.

One caveat: For being nearly 400 calories I didn’t find it as filling as, say, a baked potato with butter which has less than 300 cal. It is possible that you could overeat and end up snoozing under a tree rather than tearing up the crag/trail like you planned, or it might be the perfect way to down some balanced energy in a quick compact package when you can’t afford to stop and cook. Either way give this bar a try.

I agree on the great taste, Sage. I haven't had the PB&J, but the ProBars I've had are very tasty! My son said one was the best bar he's ever had. The high calories are the one big issue. I usually don't need a 350+ calorie bar either. I wish they came in half sizes.

1 year ago
FromSagetoSnow

Update. My oldest boy called the one I tried to give him a hippie bar and didn't want to try it. Funny, but frustrating too. He prefers jerky, this week anyway.

1 year ago

One bite of the Old School PB&J Bar and youll be instantly taken back to childhood, standing on your tip-toes at the kitchen counter while Mom whips up the perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. Its Old School PB&J Perfection!

- CampSaver.com

One bite of our Old School PB&J Bar and you'll be instantly taken back to childhood, standing on your tip-toes at the kitchen counter while Mom whips up the perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. It's Old School PB&J Perfection!

- RockCreek

The PROBAR Old School PB&J will instantly take you back to childhood, standing on your tip-toes at the kitchen counter while Mom whips up the perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. It's Old School PB&J Perfection! PROBAR Old School PB&J Features: Delicious meal replacementCertified Organic, 100% VeganGood source of Omega 3 and 6

- OMCgear

ProBar Old School PB&J Bar

The ProBar Old School PB&J Bar is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 31, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new bar, check out the best reviewed current models.