RailRiders WeatherPants

Weight 13.0 oz

All nylon construction mean these pants dry a lot…

Summary

All nylon construction mean these pants dry a lot (!) faster than cotton. Cordura reinforcement at the knees and backside add to the durability. Permethrin pretreatment helps keep ticks and chiggers at bay. Not lightweight per se, but definitely lighter than denim.

Pros

• Breathable and quick-drying
  • Permethrin treated
  • 30" inseam option

Cons

• The hook and loop cuff closures and knee reinforcements would make hemming a chore.

I know of no better outdoor trousers than my WeatherPants for the tick-infested, swampy hot New England summer. The main body is constructed of Supplex (a trademarked variety of ripstop nylon) and there are Cordura (another trademarked variety of nylon) patches on the knees and backside, so the WeatherPants stand up well to briars, brambles, and rocks.

RailRiders makes a lighter pant for those who run hot. I run pretty hot myself, but I find the durability of the WeatherPants to be worth the trade-off—they are still very breathable by my standards. The nylon retains absorbs less moisture than cotton and releases what it does retain more quickly than does cotton. That makes sweaty hikes more enjoyable for me and means a brief rainshower doesn’t weigh me down for the entire day.

I live in the heart of southern New England Lyme disease country, so I treasure permethrin-treated clothing. Some will say that it permethrin is not “green,” despite the fact that it is a synthetic form of a substance found in chrysanthemums. To each his/her own, I say. FWIW, the bacteria that causes Lyme is about as all natural as it gets!

My only caution in regards to permethrin is that it is toxic to cats. The dried form found in the WeatherPants should probably not harm felines at all, but just to be safe I would recommend not letting a cat into your lap while wearing the WeatherPants or leaving them on the floor where a cat might decide to use them for a nap.

I believe that as of early 2014 that RailRiders may be phasing the WeatherPants out in favor of a new model. So best get ’em while you can if you are interested.

6072806021_14892cf257_ob.jpg

Joseph Renow

Mathew...what is the weight of these pants?...I like my trekking pants as thin as possible while still having a soft "hand" of Supplex. Also...Permethrin is not harmful once dried...I have two cats and treat all my summer gear with no problems.

Matthew Timothy Bradley

I don’t have access to a kitchen scale, Joseph, but I will try and remember to take them with me to the Post Office at some point to weigh them there. They definitely are not as thin as you can go with nylon trekking pants. I own a pair of Craghoppers pants that are much thinner. One thing that adds to the heft of the WeatherPants is the addition of the Cordura patches in the knee area (they actually extend a good ways down the shins) and on the backside. The WeatherPants are hardly hot, but the Craghoppers are certainly cooler. I always go with the WeatherPants for bushwhacking, though.

As an outdoors professional who depends on my gear…

Fabric: Nylon

As an outdoors professional who depends on my gear - it either performs to my expectations or it doesn't get used - I have rarely if ever given anything a perfect 5 stars...until now.

In a word, RailRiders Weatherpants are bomber! From rock climbing to ropes courses, I use my gear hard. What would've torn my previous nylon favorites don't even leave a mark on the Weatherpants. They're built like a tank, with reinforced knees and butt, but they're "dressy" enough to put a sweater on and teach college lectures (when I'm not running ropes courses, I teach about them.)

Buy it with confidence. These may become your new favorite! Order them directly from www.railriders.com.

I use the Men's Winter Weatherpants for hiking and…

I use the Men's Winter Weatherpants for hiking and backpacking in the winter. These pants are very tough, I have fell into sharp rocks before and they didn't even tear.

My favorite for summer, spring, and fall are the RailRiders Men's Eco-Mesh Pant with Insect Shield. these are also the greatest pants I've seen for backpacking or hiking, very lightweight and tough.

There’s a reason why we’ve sold nearly 50,000 pairs of Weatherpants. Users love them because they are virtually impossible to wear out, even after thousands of miles of trail action. They are comfortable, durable, lightweight, and ideal for backcountry and off-road hijinks. Worn by adventure racers, long-distance hikers. climbers, fishermen, loggers, field researchers, and search and rescue teams, the Weatherpants are constructed from light, extra-tough nylon that is soft and supple to the touch, but amazingly abrasion and tear-resistant.

Reinforced seat and extended knee patches will keep barbed wire and sharp-edged volcanic rocks at bay. Weighing a scant 13 oz., they can be folded or rolled into a small, packable bundle, but will still shake out wrinkle-free. With a 15-minute drying time, the fast-evaporating fabric will keep your legs cool and sun-protected in tropical heat, or dry in mid-afternoon downpours. A loose fitting style leaves plenty of room for movement.

And in 2009, we introduced Insect Shield technology which is bonded right into the Weatherpants fabric; you now have maximum protection against bugs that bite and bother. Additional features: slotted button closure at waist and removable web belt.

Visit RailRiders's RailRiders WeatherPants page.

RailRiders WeatherPants

The RailRiders WeatherPants is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hiking pant, check out the best reviewed current models.