Rand McNally Foris 850

Weight 9 oz (with two AA batteries)
Dimensions 4 5/8 x 2 5/8 x 1 1/4 in

Great GPS for under a $100. Does everything I need.

Price Paid: Around $85 shipped

Summary

Great GPS for under a $100. Does everything I need.

Pros

• Price
  • Already preloaded with all maps
  • Geocaching??
  • Fast
  • Loop around feature

Cons

• No belt clip
  • Paperless geocaching not compatible at this time.

I bought this for around $85 shipped from Amazon for rattlesnake hunting the mountains of Western Pennsylvania, geocaching, and for hiking with my wife and daughter.

With all honesty, I've only had one other GPS and it was a Magellan Sport I found it to be worthless. So I have nothing else to compare it to.

This thing is very easy to use. It picks up satellites very quickly. It is loaded with maps for trails, forests, and bike trails, etc. It is very durable and waterproof. It comes with a handlebar mount for a bike, which I haven't used but seems pretty nice. I definitely wish it came with a belt clip though for hikers.

It uses two AA standard, or rechargeable batteries which seem to hold up pretty good. So far we've only used it trail walking and it got us back to the truck safely. I would buy this again. Love it.

*UPDATE*>6-16-2014>

After further review, a few things I'd like to add are, I found that at times it's confusing to start and end trips when moving from one place to another.

For example: While snake hunting new areas, I would set a waypoint at the truck and we'd hunt a certain area, venture back to the truck and try to end trip and then drive to the next area, try to set a waypoint at truck and it would say tracking resumed and not set a waypoint. It would show a line to the last area I was at. Couldn't quite figure it out. Ended up using it like a compass and using bodies of water as landmarks to get back to the truck.

It's probably my inexperience that's the problem, but it can be nerve racking.

Also, it came with built-in paperless geocaching, but isn't compatible with geocaching.com at this time. Huh, go figure. They give you one month free premium on the site, but a huge part of the GPS's programming isn't compatible. Have to enter coordinates the old way, which is a little misleading when purchasing.

Welcome to Trailspace, Korey! Thanks for the review.

The latest GPS device from the most trusted name on the map is ready for hiking, biking, geocaching, and more.

The Foris 850 comes loaded with trail and road maps and includes turn-by-turn directions with voice guidance. It's also equipped with advanced outdoor routing features to calculate a looped route, route along a saved track, and compare alternate routes.

• More than 5 million miles of trails and roads
  • Detailed U.S. street and contour maps, including water features
  • Trail navigation with spoken and visual turn-by-turn directions
  • Paperless geocaching with storage for 7,000 waypoints and 1,000 tracks
  • Rugged and waterproof; 3" touchscreen; compass and altimeter
  • Easy to use, with intuitive menus, on-device help, and customizable settings
  • Bike mount included
  • Review hikes and rides, upload geocaches with Trailhead PC software

Visit Rand McNally's Foris 850 page.

Rand McNally Foris 850

The Rand McNally Foris 850 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.