Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker

Great cookbook for the backpacker! I wouldn't use…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great cookbook for the backpacker!

Pros

• Great recipes
  • Super valuable info

Cons

• Hasn't been updated since 1985

I wouldn't use the term 'glamping' to describe our backpacking outings, however we do put a great deal of thought into our meals while on the trail. I have other books that mainly discuss the use of a dehydrator, this book is different.

June Fleming discusses backpackers needs from top to bottom: nutrition, packing, cooking, camp setup. She discusses where to get certain ingredients and how to use them in conjunction. This book doesn't have a massive amount of recipes however it has some incredibly valuable information.

A good read for the winter months to prep for next season!

I own a copy of this book as well, and I agree with you that the chief con is the dated nature of the book. Great recipes, but there are so many other options today. I made her Logan Bread recipe, which I understand to be an old school staple. Today, we have many energy bar options (that taste better and weigh less). I also learned to make Fruit Leather through this book. It's a good book; I just wish it could be brought up to date. (Oh, and DON'T try the Mexican Mocha--nasty!)

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah.

Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker

The Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 29, 2011 at Mountain Gear.

"Lazy. And Damn Good Looking"—Meet Andy, Backpacker, Geographer, Reviewer of the Month

Black Diamond Women's First Light Hoody Review