Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker

Great cookbook for the backpacker! I wouldn't use…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great cookbook for the backpacker!

Pros

• Great recipes
  • Super valuable info

Cons

• Hasn't been updated since 1985

I wouldn't use the term 'glamping' to describe our backpacking outings, however we do put a great deal of thought into our meals while on the trail. I have other books that mainly discuss the use of a dehydrator, this book is different.

June Fleming discusses backpackers needs from top to bottom: nutrition, packing, cooking, camp setup. She discusses where to get certain ingredients and how to use them in conjunction. This book doesn't have a massive amount of recipes however it has some incredibly valuable information.

A good read for the winter months to prep for next season!

I own a copy of this book as well, and I agree with you that the chief con is the dated nature of the book. Great recipes, but there are so many other options today. I made her Logan Bread recipe, which I understand to be an old school staple. Today, we have many energy bar options (that taste better and weigh less). I also learned to make Fruit Leather through this book. It's a good book; I just wish it could be brought up to date. (Oh, and DON'T try the Mexican Mocha--nasty!)

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah.

Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker

The Random House The Well-Fed Backpacker is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 29, 2011 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new cookbook, check out the best reviewed current models.