Recreation Before Responsibility Nylon RipStop Jacket

Highly recommended for its functionality, rare unparalleled…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (John Miller from RBR)

Summary

Highly recommended for its functionality, rare unparalleled quality and ability to wear from the countryside to the city streets. Form meets function in this understated yet sleek design. I wore the jacket version of this product with the only real difference from the vest being that there were sleeves. Everything else is the same.

Pros

• Unmatched quality made completely off the grid
  • The ability to pack away the jacket into a pocket
  • Hidden side pockets that are deep
  • Soft neck lining
  • Very warm - perfect for layering
  • Slim fit

Cons

• Side pocket zippers tend to snag on inner pocket lining - RBR is working on this
  • Side pocket zipper tabs are small - RBR is working on this

I got this jacket in a women's XS and it fit me to a tee. The sleeves were a perfect length and the cut of the jacket a perfect slim cut for my body. I've worn it mainly during the winter in southern California. I live in a beach town, so it gets very cold at night from the ocean air. This jacket was perfect as a layer when down at the beach in the late afternoons.

Aside from the warmth and functionality that it provides, as someone who cares a great deal about style, I love that I don't feel like I'm wearing a casual technical jacket when I wear out and about in town. I love that the upper pocket is on the inside of the jacket, giving it a more uniform, sleek look. The side pockets are nicely hidden on the sides as well.

When I received this jacket, I actually already had a similar jacket from Aether and was amazed by the similarity in style. The Aether jacket was also made with a black ripstop material and filled with Primaloft One, but upon closer inspection, I could see that the Aether ripstop material was not as tightly woven as RBR's jacket was and the seam work, while not shoddy, was nowhere near the perfection of Ada's craftsmanship, made completely off the grid. You can't compare a jacket made in China to one made by hand. The RBR jacket has far more stitches per inch, which enhances the quality and longevity of the jacket, along with making it look very high-end and well made.

My 4-year-old son also has this very same jacket and wore it to school almost every day this past winter. A lot of his other school clothes end up with holes and rips from playtime, but his little RBR jacket is as good as the day he first got it, with nary a rip or tear in sight.

As I stated in the cons, the only issues (but they were not big deals) for me were the size of the side pocket zipper tabs and the fact that it tended to get snagged on the inner pocket lining when I would unzip or zip up the pocket. However, John Miller of RBR tells me he is working on improving this.

FromSagetoSnow

Sierra, thanks for the review. I tested the vest and had a lot of the same thoughts. Its so cool that the same person made both our garments, outstanding workmanship.

Manufacturer's Description refers to the men's version

Black Nylon RipStop Jacket: 20d RipStop Nylon (DWR/Down proof) with 60g PrimaLoft One insulation. Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large.

We also carry Women's and Kid's sizes. Contact us at jmrbr@cox.net for more information.

Visit Recreation Before Responsibility's Men's Nylon RipStop Jacket page.

Recreation Before Responsibility Nylon RipStop Jacket

$185.00 (men's)

The Recreation Before Responsibility Nylon RipStop Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.