Redfeather Hike

As a relative novice to snowshoeing, I found the Redfeather…

Source: borrowed it

Summary

As a relative novice to snowshoeing, I found the Redfeather Hike to be easy to put on, natural to hike in, and comfortable. They outperformed the snowshoes I rented from REI.

Pros

• Easy to put on and adjust
  • Easy to walk in after only a minute or two of practice

Cons

• I don't get to snowshoe enough!

Once a year, I get to attend a conference in Boulder, CO. Each year, the conference organizer (Tom) invites attendees to arrive a day early for a bit of snowshoeing in the front range of the Rockie Mountains. My first year, I rented snowshoes from the local REI (I'm sorry to say, I can't remember the brand).

They were "okay," but were not easy to put on or adjust. The next year Tom loaned me a pair of 30" Redfeather Hike.

IMG_20140226_140004_944.jpg

I'm pretty much a novice, but Tom snowshoes regularly. He takes newbies out regularly, and the back of his truck is filled with 5 or 6 pairs of Readfeather Hike. Tom wears them himself. I asked Tom on this trip if he buys Redfeather for the price ($100) or for the quality. He responded, they are a great shoe, and that's why he buys them...period.

IMG_20140226_140013_384.jpg

Having used the Redfeather Hike on two separate occasions, I have enjoyed them from a newbie perspective. I had them on my feet and hiking in only a matter of minutes. Those using different brands needed extra time to adjust the fit.

IMG_20140226_105953_608.jpg

They are comfortable to walk in and light enough that my legs did not get tired (They weigh 2lbs each).

One women in our group kept having snow build up on the underside of her shoes. No one wearing the Redfeather Hike 30s had this problem.

2012-Snow-Shoeing-at-NCCPS-Conference-2-

I'm the one smiling at the camera. Tom is to the right, with
his Redfeathers highly visible. Gracie the dog does not wear
snowshoes, but is a delight to hike with.

Summary: I am too inexperienced to say if Redfeather Hikes are "entry level" snowshoes or not. However, they worked perfectly for me. If I had the chance to snowshoe more than once a year, these would be the shoes I would buy.

Joseph Renow

Thanks Goose...also good to see that your conference isn't all business...sure beats the two or three academic conferences I must endure every year:-)

G00SE

Joseph, I posted a video of snowshoeing in these here: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/156472.html#156472

If you've owned or used a Redfeather Men's Hike, please share your experience.