Redfeather Race Series

I've got the newer version of the Race snowshoe (purchased…

I've got the newer version of the Race snowshoe (purchased in 2007) and have been a fan for a while now. I can run in them, just as intended, and they seem to give me a little bit of float. I mostly use these for fitness purposes (ie running, I can do 15 flat in a 5k, without the snowshoes on of course) as I feel these help me develop more power in my legs.

Traction in these shoes has been good, though I haven't gone on anything extremely dicey yet in the 70+ miles I've ran on them. Took a bit of finish off going across a sketchy rock portion, totally my fault but to Redfeather's credit I see no rust or corrosion where I lost the paint.

The binding system holds my feet securely in place, though I am always the last of my friends to get my bindings on and I don't hear them complaining either. What struck me about these shoes was how big they are. They are generally wider and longer compared to Atlas or Tubbs' running/race snowshoes. Gotta love that they are made right across the river in La Crosse, WI.

Hate to say it though, but for my purposes, if I had to choose again, I'd go with the new 2009 Atlas Race shoes. They are over a pound lighter than these, with a more conducive profile to running and faster binding system. Redfeather had a great run with these, but if you want the world's fastest snowshoe this is not it.