Redfeather Sport Trek Series

This is my first pair of snowshoes and I'm very pleased…

This is my first pair of snowshoes and I'm very pleased with them. I was a bit concerned about how durable they would be, but so far I have had no problems. I like the fact that they're a bit smaller than most snowshoes. At 130 lbs I'm fairly light so these work well for me. They could be a bit small for heavier individuals.

The straps cinch up easily, quickly, and tightly. I used them this past winter on San Jacinto, San Gorgonio, and in Sequoia NP. Fresh snow is awesome (though draining)! The built-in crampons grip fairly well though the points can get bent up if you step on rocks (they can easily be straightened out though with a pair of pliers).

Overall I was surprised at how natural they felt on the snow. I thought I would have to learn how to walk a special way (keeping my feet farther apart) but this wasn't really the case. They do flop around like a pair of sandals, but they're supposed to do that. Thus, if you're looking for a smaller and lighter pair of snowshoes and aren't too heavy these may be what you want.

My son rented a pair of these snowshoes for a Boy…

Price Paid: Rented

My son rented a pair of these snowshoes for a Boy Scout outing. One of the bindings wouldn't hold his foot in place and it kept sliding forward which made walking difficult. The fabric had already torn loose from the rear connecting point when we picked them up from the rental store. Given that they are rentals it could simply be due to extended wear and tear.

We used three other brands of shoes and the Redfeather brand seemed to have the worst reviews of the boys.

If you've owned or used a Redfeather Sport Trek Series, please share your experience.

Redfeather Sport Trek Series

The Sport Trek Series has been discontinued.

The Redfeather Sport Trek Series is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 22, 2011 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new hiking snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.